GEN 1 Time for Tire chains on gen1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyomingraptor

Reaction score
Getting ready to go elk hunting! a few years back I couldn’t get those big tire chains to fit. Got stuck REAL BAD. Thought about a solution and came up with new wheels and 285/ 75 R17 tire and a well thought out offset. Problem solved.

When a big Wyoming blizzard shows up and you have chains you will see elk. Sometimes the Polaris is the ticket. I love the late season hunts. Keeps me out of trouble until the new years holiday.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1082.png
    IMG_1082.png
    702.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1022.jpeg
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 31

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dad was born in Superior, WY, and I grew up with his stories of Wyoming winters. The word "ferocious" comes to mind, so I understand your need for additional traction. But the GEN1 manual says to never use chains, so I'd love it if you would kindly walk us through your solution.

OP
OP
wyomingraptor

wyomingraptor

Reaction score
My dad was born in Superior, WY, and I grew up with his stories of Wyoming winters. The word "ferocious" comes to mind, so I understand your need for additional traction. But the GEN1 manual says to never use chains, so I'd love it if you would kindly walk us through your solution.
Mom and Dad at Ford says no tire chains on a Raptor w/ factory wheel and tire. They give you a hint about different wheel and smaller tire.. After being stuck with chains on the back tires and spending the night in the pickup.
I have spent many nights by choice over the years. . Heated seats, satellite radio, internet, coffee and a old friend is good by me.

The area I hunt is near the Snow chi Minh trail. Look it up I am not kidding. It’s legendary in Wyoming.

Back to the tire chains! I need to get better with my photos. The big problem is on the front wheels. Look at your Raptor withe factory wheel and tire. It’s REAL CLOSE. I see no reasonable tire chain working. Here are some pics and specs on my winter tire. Kmc wheel with Yokohama tire.

I have a love hate relationship with chains.
I never give advice but here is some rules I follow. Fit the chains to the tire at home when it’s nice. I spent a lot of time there. In the field install all four chains before you need them. Daylight really helps. Use chains with those twisting steel tightners and those rubber bungee things. Use both and always tighten things up after a couple hundred yards.Buy new ones often, they dry out and you can make new friends in the field. Slow and steady all the way and you will see elk!
I did put a level kit on the front of the truck too. I also trimmed those extra links in that picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.png
    IMG_3699.png
    771.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0057.png
    IMG_0057.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 24