Rebuild Gen 2 with V8 Conversion & 5-Link or Gen 3 for $25k-$30k over MSRP.........

Keep Gen 2 or Buy New Gen 3 at around 125,000 Miles?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I also looked at conversion and was told a similar price. I also looked at new Raptor as well as holding out for a Raptor R.

So I actually went the route of the Paxpower V8. I have a 2018 Raptor currently, stock but have now had to replace the cam phasors twice. It has a little over 100K miles and no offroad other than dirt roads here in MI. I looked at buying a 2022 Raptor but everyone wanted 30K over MSRP, so total cost of around $110. Hoping for Raptor R but not willing to spend $160K.

Ended up buying 2021 F150 Platinum. Supercharged at Livernois Motorsports with Stage 3 whipple which is supposed to be 775 hp. Borla rear exit exhaust. Truck is currently at Paxpower undergoing conversion. As I tow, did not change the rear leaf springs. Everything is Ford OEM. Went with Fuel Rebel 6 20 inch wheels with 12.5/35/20 KO2 tires. The differential is being changed to 4.10 gears like the Raptor instead of the 3.36 gears. Front and rear Bumper will be the ADD honeybadger. Just for looks. It will have all of the options of the Platinum including Bluecruise. For those of us who don't really offroad, I felt this is a real alternative.

The 0-60 times are deceptive. If they don't change the gears on the transmission, ratios will be hugely different. Also, the real noticeable difference is from 30-80. Easily 4 truck lengths between the supercharged V8 vs my 2018 stock Raptor
Post some pics when you get it all done. So are you essentially doing a Raptor Face lift on it? What is the whole aftermarket set up going to cost you when it is all said and done (Livernois SC plus the PaxPower stuff).

jorligan

Reaction score
110 K which includes the new wheels, tires, aftermarket bumpers, Stage 3 Whipple with tune. When the e85 option is complete by Livernois, looking at over 800 hp. Facelift is correct. Will post pictures when complete, currently have progress photos

jorligan

Reaction score
one set failed in 35k.. is it that hard to believe that the failure prone early parts failed? unless all the updates are done, they are going to fail...
No idea. Regular oil changes with synthetic oil. No offroad. Occasional towing of 5K max. All updates performed. Not sure if there are updated cam phasors or just the software update.

ziggy2022

Reaction score
No idea. Regular oil changes with synthetic oil. No offroad. Occasional towing of 5K max. All updates performed. Not sure if there are updated cam phasors or just the software update.
So how did all this work out? I just discovered the Paxpower route this morning. I’ve ordered a ‘24 regular Raptor at MSRP from a place in Kansas City. I’m in California. There are plenty of ‘23 F-150 v8 models on lots with deep discounts - even upper trim models. I didn’t put a deposit down. They didn’t ask me. I’d rather have a better interior and a rock solid drive train than something known to possibly fail multiple times before 100k miles

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So how did all this work out? I just discovered the Paxpower route this morning. I’ve ordered a ‘24 regular Raptor at MSRP from a place in Kansas City. I’m in California. There are plenty of ‘23 F-150 v8 models on lots with deep discounts - even upper trim models. I didn’t put a deposit down. They didn’t ask me. I’d rather have a better interior and a rock solid drive train than something known to possibly fail multiple times before 100k miles
The issue has been resolved for 4 years. Late 2020+ models are not affected.

ziggy2022

Reaction score
The issue has been resolved for 4 years. Late 2020+ models are not affected.
Really appreciate you speaking up. Thank you. I’m super super new and trying to get up to speed with all the history and latest improvements/developments. Seems like a cool community and I’m looking forward to getting back into a Ford Truck.