Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a fair amount. So I don't think there's a need to explain what I'm getting. What I am wondering is what's the best way to get rid of it? The things I'm considering that others have reported working are new spark plugs (sp452 motorcraft plugs), pedal commander (recent reviews have been much more mixed on this), an MPT Tune.

Am I missing other options? Of these, which will actually get rid of the stutter? If I can spend $50 on plugs and be done with it, then I'd prefer that. Then take the $700 I'd spend on tunes and Ngauge and buy a CAI and coil spring collar to level the truck out.

I took mine to the dealer and they performed a recall on the head gasket or head gasket cover, which seemed to alleviate the issue. Apparently it was consuming oil? It had about 2k miles on it at the time of recall. Not sure if anyone else in here did that as well but I’m not reading through 230 posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took mine to the dealer and they performed a recall on the head gasket or head gasket cover, which seemed to alleviate the issue. Apparently it was consuming oil? It had about 2k miles on it at the time of recall. Not sure if anyone else in here did that as well but I’m not reading through 230 posts

Interesting.... my truck has been consuming oil also. Going to the dealer next week.

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.... my truck has been consuming oil also. Going to the dealer next week.

Yes it’s a factory TSB or Recall for the vehicle. Mine is an 18 so I’m sure if yours is as well it will be the case

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's an SSM... Special Service Message. Here is the Message:

47623 2017-2018 F-150, 2018 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Oil Consumption - Built On Or Before 13-Jul-2018
Some 2017-2018 F-150 and 2018 Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost and built on or before 13-Jul-2018 may exhibit diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0365 and/or P0369 with excessive oil consumption. If there are no visible external oil leaks, replace both engine valve covers. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01. For claiming, use causal part 6582 and applicable labor operations in Section 6 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 29-OCTOBER-2018

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, standard stuff for DI turbo engines. It’s a moving target for all oem engineering and marketing depts to agree on cost numbers. Depending on the local variables temp, humidity, bark pressure, oil condition, ring seal, etc, etc, the PCV system may not be able to allow the best crankcase ventilation and sealing for all conditions resulting in the turbos allowing oil past their seals and in some cases the PCV allows liquid oil right into the intake plenum.
Ford will try the new cam covers with better air/oil separation chambers before anything else.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, standard stuff for DI turbo engines. It’s a moving target for all oem engineering and marketing depts to agree on cost numbers. Depending on the local variables temp, humidity, bark pressure, oil condition, ring seal, etc, etc, the PCV system may not be able to allow the best crankcase ventilation and sealing for all conditions resulting in the turbos allowing oil past their seals and in some cases the PCV allows liquid oil right into the intake plenum.
Ford will try the new cam covers with better air/oil separation chambers before anything else.

Would my JLT oil seperator can help this or is it still a good idea to get the valve covers changed?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would my JLT oil seperator can help this or is it still a good idea to get the valve covers changed?

If you're having oil consumption, you'll want Ford to document it and change the cam covers. An oil CC is ok, but won't be the "fix" for oil consumption.