Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imagination is strong with this one! Just take it to the local 1/4 mile strip and post the time slip. The clocks don’t lie, but your mind does.

Gladly, lets go. Stock 2017 Raptor to mine with aFe Momentum Stage 2 intake. I'm getting everything stated in the aFe Specs on their website. I'll take it to a Dyno here in Las Vegas is somebody wants to pay for the tests. This is one CAI that actually does something. I'm a gear head so I know the difference. It surprised me. See specs below. I don't care if you believe or not. Just sharing info here.

Why be a H8R? The data will set you free!
Screenshot_20190129-182456_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190129-182331_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never, ever. But seriously, I can feel the difference. It's not 68% more HP but it is noticeable.

YBA H8R

Yep, I'm sure there is a difference in your head. If your ears hear it, then it's true... The max CFM difference means exactly zero/zilch/nada, unless the engine is pulling more than the airbox can flow, which is NOT the case. You are a marketers perfect customer. One who doesn't think past the advertised data.

I'm not a hater of anything, but liberal idiots and false statements whether intentional or not. Enjoy your intake, just don't try to sell it as some actual improvement in anything other than lightening your wallet, and satisfying your quest for bling.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 SCREW 802A has the Shudder / Surging on WOT acceleration - long pulls. Normal and Sport Mode. I'll ask Dealer to update PCM / TCM when I bring her in for latest Recalls.

Do I need to put my stock air cleaner back on first? I have an aFe dual filter dual tube on her now - Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake - dry filters. By the way, this CAI does everything stated. Boosts HP and Torque noticibly.

View attachment 118273

You don't need to remove that when you go in for the update.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Gladly, lets go. Stock 2017 Raptor to mine with aFe Momentum Stage 2 intake. I'm getting everything stated in the aFe Specs on their website. I'll take it to a Dyno here in Las Vegas is somebody wants to pay for the tests. This is one CAI that actually does something. I'm a gear head so I know the difference. It surprised me. See specs below. I don't care if you believe or not. Just sharing info here.

Why be a H8R? The data will set you free!
View attachment 118275 View attachment 118276

Flow measurement is great and all, but what’s the actual before and after cfm at the throttle body?
You don’t see that because the air filter and intake tract isn’t the choke point or bottle neck. So yes, the advertisement is accurate, the 2 filters do have more flow capacity than the Raptor stock air filter, I am quite certain they have more flow area, but unless there’s some magical problem in the intake system that nobody has yet identified since 2017, changing out the air filter and box isn’t putting more peak power to the ground. I can see where there might be some minor increase underneath the power curve, maybe.

But chances are what you are feeling is not the truck being faster, it’s the truck making more noise, possibly the intake created a new or exacerbated power curve dip, that when you climb out of creates the “sensation” of being faster, because it’s actually been made markedly slower just before. If you think about, this is just like climbing out of turbo lag. You’re making very little power, stomp the gas and there’s a tiny bit of power until the spool up, and then a huge hit of power. It feels incredible but, all things being equal, if you had roots blower setup making the same numbers, the roots blower equipped engine would stomp the turbos in acceleration because the spool up on the blower is instant; the lag is imperceptible. Look at the power curve from a dyno and can see the reason why.

I’m sure the CAI you have does several things. It definitely changes the air flow characteristics coming into the intake of the engine, I’m sure it also changes the sound characteristics, maybe even the dynamics of flow into the intake tract. But, I’ve yet to see someone post up back to back dyno numbers on the same truck, changing only the intake. Until then, I remain skeptical that these CAI are contributing much, if anything other than aesthetics.