Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20psirabbit

Reaction score
I’ve got a 17 with 10k on it. I don’t have the strategy numbers in front of me but I’ll share my experience briefly.
Around 30-60mph pretty consistently at part-throttle the truck would surge through the rpm range and the gears.

I took it to ford and asked them to perform whatever pcm and tcm updates were available. The shop lead told me that he didn’t do anything specific to the surge, he simply took the updates it asked him about when he plugged into the IDA.
There is a different strategy now in both pcm and tcm. The truck is still learning but so far I can’t induce the surge yet in normal or sport mode.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI I had the update done to my truck yesterday. I have only driven the truck about 18 miles but it does seem significantly better. I'll wait a little for final judgement since the adaptive learning of the trans gets erased and starts over with the new tuning.

FWIW I also emailed my file to MPT after the update and it required my tunes to be changed.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After a few days of driving the truck since the update and with the new MPT tune in the truck works GREAT! The update made a WORD of difference with both the hesitation/stumble my truck had. Plus the trans shifting now works like you'd think the trans should shift! I was hoping for some improvement with the update but never expected it to be this much of a difference.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a few days of driving the truck since the update and with the new MPT tune in the truck works GREAT! The update made a WORD of difference with both the hesitation/stumble my truck had. Plus the trans shifting now works like you'd think the trans should shift! I was hoping for some improvement with the update but never expected it to be this much of a difference.

Told you ... LOL

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Told you ... LOL

After putting several hundred miles on the truck since the update i just don't understand how Ford could have released the trucks originally with such poor programming. This update is night and day difference from how my worked. Now I see why so many people couldn't duplicate the hesitation/stumble that I was experiencing. Because their trucks came with the newer program.

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We normally gap ours .028-.030 but yes these ecoboost engines are real touchy with plugs and octane. If you are on stock tune then octane shouldn't be an issue unless it is less then 87 octane. But if it is happening now after tune or throttle enhancer it will continue to be there. My name is Jake let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 SCREW 802A has the Shudder / Surging on WOT acceleration - long pulls. Normal and Sport Mode. I'll ask Dealer to update PCM / TCM when I bring her in for latest Recalls.

Do I need to put my stock air cleaner back on first? I have an aFe dual filter dual tube on her now - Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake - dry filters. By the way, this CAI does everything stated. Boosts HP and Torque noticibly.

54-12882-h_1_1.1530802784.jpg

Last edited: