GEN 2 Thoughts on purchasing a high mileage 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time on and off lurker, posting to get some thoughts and opinions on purchasing a 2017 Raptor with 105xxx miles. 802a, pretty much all available options. If the price wasn't great, I wouldn't even be here post right now. Truck is listed at 46k$ and has dropped 1k$ every week since being posted. There's no carfax on their website so I couldn't tell you about the maintenance the truck has had (yes, i'll request one or purchase my own if I decide to pull the trigger).

If maintenance records are in order, what would you be willing to pay? I'm sure the shocks will need rebuilt, anything else to look out for upon inspection?

Thanks for any comments. Appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the warranty history (Ford dealer can do that), crawl under the truck and look for leaks big dents or scrapes, while you are under there, see if the front and rear diff covers have been off, because the fluids should of been changed already if it’s been maintained. Take it for a test drive and do sharp turns and make sure there’s no binding or grinding. Good luck!

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you might be better off finding a Gen 1 with less than 100k miles for $46k. Just a thought and I love my gen 2 but I wouldn't pay 46k for it when it hits over 100k miles
I've been entertaining the idea of a Gen 1 as well, I love the 6.2 but I live at 6,000 ft elevation and i've got a 3.5 Ecoboost now. Can't imagine living up here without turbos. What would you pay then, if 46k is too much.
Check the warranty history (Ford dealer can do that), crawl under the truck and look for leaks big dents or scrapes, while you are under there, see if the front and rear diff covers have been off, because the fluids should of been changed already if it’s been maintained. Take it for a test drive and do sharp turns and make sure there’s no binding or grinding. Good luck!
Appreciate the comment! Without a doubt i'll take a nice long test drive and a thorough look underneath. Isn't the trans fluid done at 150k?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I've been entertaining the idea of a Gen 1 as well, I love the 6.2 but I live at 6,000 ft elevation and i've got a 3.5 Ecoboost now. Can't imagine living up here without turbos. What would you pay then, if 46k is too much.

Appreciate the comment! Without a doubt i'll take a nice long test drive and a thorough look underneath. Isn't the trans fluid done at 150k?

Get the Gen 2. There is no comparison. At 6000 ft, you're gonna be at a real disadvantage w/o turbos. We have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. According to the dash, the Gen 2 gets 6 mpg better. It's way faster, rides better, better electronics, seats, blah blah blah.

That price seems decent, given the current market.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CarFax and or maintenance and warranty/recall work is important. If Cam Phaser issue hasn't already been addressed, be ready for that. My 2018 has 62k miles and I just experienced the Cam Phaser issue and some overheating issues related to water pump going out. Besides that, love my Gen2 and am not planning getting rid of it anytime soon. It's a Beast!

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time on and off lurker, posting to get some thoughts and opinions on purchasing a 2017 Raptor with 105xxx miles. 802a, pretty much all available options. If the price wasn't great, I wouldn't even be here post right now. Truck is listed at 46k$ and has dropped 1k$ every week since being posted. There's no carfax on their website so I couldn't tell you about the maintenance the truck has had (yes, i'll request one or purchase my own if I decide to pull the trigger).

If maintenance records are in order, what would you be willing to pay? I'm sure the shocks will need rebuilt, anything else to look out for upon inspection?

I know I am jinxing myself here, but I own a 2017 and just hit 80,500 miles. I have never had any cam phaser issues. I have been tuned for 30,000 of those miles and currently have been running just e85 for the past 10,000.

1. Shocks need to be rebuilt every 50,000 miles or sooner if any off road
2. Check to see if plastic oil pan was every dealt with (mine leaked x 2)
3. Has the updated cam phaser TSB been performed or cam phasers replaced
4. How many owners? If it's 1 or 2 I get less concerned.
5. What is NADA or KBB say for price?
6. I would take to a trusted mechanic or trusted Ford Service department for a thorough look over (CV boots, rotors/brakes, fluids, etc.) prior to buying if you are not mechanically inclined.

I can't believe a 5 year old truck with >100,000 miles can bring $46k but that's the market I guess. I remember writing a check out the door in 2017 for $59k when I ordered mine. I am going to be in for some major sticker shock when I have to buy another one.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think you might be better off finding a Gen 1 with less than 100k miles for $46k. Just a thought and I love my gen 2 but I wouldn't pay 46k for it when it hits over 100k miles

That makes no sense…why would you buy an older, outdated, lower performing model for the same price as the newer one? That’s absolutely terrible advice.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It’s all dependent on how the truck was driven and maintained. If everything is in good shape (no excessive wear, signs of abuse, damage, etc.) and it has maintenance records from a reputable facility (dealer or Quick Lane) then it should be fine.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score