GEN 2 Thoughts on purchasing a high mileage 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to worry this much maybe just save for another year and get what you want. My 17 has been awesome but I also have extended warranty. Trucks, like many things, are more enjoyable when you can easily afford them. My perception is gen 1 6.2 is probably more reliable for the long term, but gen 2 have many upsides including comfort and performance. In my opinion, looks as well. These trucks rock, but not worth it if you have to worry financially. Personally, I would pay $46 for the gen 2 no problem and put $6-7k extra in the emergency fund in case something happens.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not give more than $35k for the 17. There are just too many problems to worry about. I agree with the others to go with the 14/13… even at less power. At least you know what you are getting in to with those. Those 13/14 have good reliability in the F150 and the super duty trucks. That 6.2 is pretty indestructible.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not give more than $35k for the 17. There are just too many problems to worry about. I agree with the others to go with the 14/13… even at less power. At least you know what you are getting in to with those. Those 13/14 have good reliability in the F150 and the super duty trucks. That 6.2 is pretty indestructible.

Nobody cares what what you’d pay, they’re going for what they’re worth. The only engine reliability issue was the possibility of an oil pan leak, which was addressed with a TSB.

What Raptor do you own? Didn’t see you introduce yourself in the new members section.

Last edited:

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is the whole I don't own a Raptor thing, I own a Gen 2 currently and have owned a Gen 1. The Gen 1 Raptors are indestructible as has been said and the 6.2 exhaust sound makes you drool. However, the Gen 2 is better in every way possible.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have to agree to disagree on this one. When I look at this one or others I would rather have it for basically same money .

Something isn't adding up with your advise and what you're claiming you'd rather have.

If you actually believe that, what's keeping you from selling your Gen 2, buying a Gen 1 and pocketing 10 grand while you're at it?

As far as the OP is concerned... I don't think 100K is all that high a mileage as long as it was adequately maintained.

breezy

Reaction score
OP, there were trucks near me with 100k miles in the low 50s. I had to spend the day on the road looking at 5 or so trucks, asking for deals to see who wanted to work with me.

Ultimately I got a truck with 52k miles on it for less than the local dealer wanted for the 100k mile truck. Just be willing to check out a couple of different trucks, expand your radius, and be willing to 'waste' a day going to different dealers. It can be done. I will say that maintenance matters, I drove trucks with similar miles and one truck would be rough and the other would be tight, so don't let mileage be the deciding factor exclusively. Good luck!

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess would be this truck was not driven hard. Someone loved the look and the tech and used it as a highway commute truck. They probably didn’t have a lot of problems on a vehicle that they drove for 105k, you just move on to the next commute Automobile. it’s nice to see some 100k mile examples showing up. Good luck

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be this truck was not driven hard. Someone loved the look and the tech and used it as a highway commute truck. They probably didn’t have a lot of problems on a vehicle that they drove for 105k, you just move on to the next commute Automobile. it’s nice to see some 100k mile examples showing up. Good luck
That exactly what I was thinking. At the end of the day, none of the years are laden with problems. Small oil leak? Big deal carry a quart in the bed. Little funny sound on startup? Who cares. I sound funny when I start up in the mornings too. Doctor says it’s normal. At the end of the day it’s a Ford truck. Not that special, but all the way awesome.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called the dealer and scheduled a test drive this coming week. I appreciate all the comments.

I checked cargurus and all the nearby major cities craigslists, there are a few similarly priced trucks with similar miles. Going to test drive and inspect this one and see about twisting the dealers arm to get a carfax, otherwise i'll pay for one myself it the truck checks out otherwise.

I'm honestly not too concerned with the oil pan, i'm more worried about the cam phasers and getting replacement shocks. Thanks again FRF.