This is stupid - cannot find a competent shop to install my exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC_OUTDOORS

Reaction score
I did my Borla Atak laying on the groud in my driveway at night with a work light. I wasnt that easy but it was nice to know I did it myself. The worst part was working around the spare tire. Finally I said hell with this and dropped it out of the way and that ended up saving me time and even more had I done that it in the first place.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The installation of the new exhaust may actually be easier than the removal of the factory exhaust. I had to CUT the factory exhaust of my previous truck so that I could bolt in the new one.

Finding a decent muffler/exhaust shop can be pretty challenging. I had a pretty bad experience with what was supposed to be the best shop in Huntsville, AL. I bought a direct replacement Magnaflow muffler to replace the factory muffler, and all that had to be done was cut out the factory muffler and weld in the new one. The length was the same and the diameter of the tubes was the same. A simple job, right? Yes, for someone with two synapses to rub together. When the guy was done my exhaust was slung so low that I'd lost a significant amount of ground clearance. It took me two days at home under the truck to get most, not all, of it back. As always, let the buyer beware.

jaredq22

Reaction score
I purchased a Borla S Type cat back system for my 2018. It was delivered a couple of days ago, and I thought that it would be a simple exercise to find a local shop to install it for me.

I talked to the dealer where I purchased the Raptor, and spoke with the service manager before I ordered the exhaust. He said that he could take care of it for a couple of hours worth of labor. Sounded confident. I ordered the exhaust, and called him the day it came in. He was out for lunch, so I spoke with the guy covering for him, explaining my previous conversation and wanting to make an appointment. He said that I would need to talk to the service manager himself, and took my name, number and a description of what I was calling about.

I never received a return call.

I then went to a couple of local independent muffler shops. Neither one of them had ever seen a Raptor in person, and both crawled under the truck to look at what needed to be done. They both came back with "at least 3 hours" of labor. They also seemed a bit puzzled at the dual exhaust. They said that they would "do their best" to make the new one fit. That did not instill much confidence for me.

This is stupid. I live in the Kansas City area and can't find a freaking shop that is competent enough to install a catback dual exhaust. If I had access to a lift and an extra pair of hands I would do it myself.

Just bitching...

I was in your same position. The difference was, I am a student at school with no garage to work in. I decided that I would be creating more value if I bought the tools (because then I have the tools in the future) than if I were to just spend to get the work done.

Bought the tools, got down on my back in the parking lot, put some headphones in, 2 hours later, I am happier than ever and I feel much better knowing that I did it and not some shmoe at joe's muffler shop.