GEN 2 Thinking about selling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're familiar with buying and selling cars and have decent salesmanship the Raptor is one of the smartest vehicles you can own. You lose almost nothing on resale with them. Take care of it, keep a log of maintenance and parts installs, and the right buyer will pay you what it's worth when the time comes. Buying a German car new is akin to lighting a pile of money on fire. I've always loved the m3 but I would never buy one new. The depreciation is insane. My wife and I are thinking of an M2 or Audi TT RS soon, definitely going to let someone else eat that depreciation.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're familiar with buying and selling cars and have decent salesmanship the Raptor is one of the smartest vehicles you can own. You lose almost nothing on resale with them. Take care of it, keep a log of maintenance and parts installs, and the right buyer will pay you what it's worth when the time comes. Buying a German car new is akin to lighting a pile of money on fire. I've always loved the m3 but I would never buy one new. The depreciation is insane. My wife and I are thinking of an M2 or Audi TT RS soon, definitely going to let someone else eat that depreciation.

Funny how much things change. Wasn't all that long ago BMW was at the top of the chart for holding value (75% after 5 years) and M cars actually went up in value. But that was back when it was a niche enthusiast brand and M cars had a 2-year wait list. They were also some of the most reliable cars you could buy. I miss those days.......and is why I still have my E39 6spd.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woah, this just made me rethink everything haha. I'm a bit younger than most Raptor owners, I fall right into that M3 age range hence why I want it lol. I was originally going to buy that damn F80 until some ppl talked me into the Raptor. (NEVER TAKE ANYONE ELSE'S OPINION WHEN BUYING A VEHICLE)!! And the only thing stopping me from a F90 is price. Haven't driven any F80 yet. But when you broke down the depreciation for me, makes a lot more sense. Think I might hold off then until the time is right unless it's some sort of smoking deal for that F80. S

Holy hell. A well thought out opinion was shared and accepted by two forum members.

Somebody mark the time.

gobie18

Reaction score
I remember those E46 M3 and the E39 M5 days. The E39 M5 was the greatest M5, I miss my 2000 M5. Back then they only have M3 and M5, now they have M powered everything. BMW's are only for lease now a days if you even want one. My wife leased a 2018 530 and that car just turned into Consumer's report 10 most non-recommended buy because of reliability issues. Glad we only leased that thing.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uhh, when was this again?

In the 90s BMW ranked up there with Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. BMW was teetering on the verge of bankruptcy in the 80s because they were spread too thin and as a result, they dropped everything except the 3, 5, and 7 series and focused on making those the best and most reliable cars they could. And it worked. The cars were simple, reliable, and fun to drive. True enthusiast cars. Nothing like the bloated shit they pump out today.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Reliable" is subjective I guess. They may have been simpler and more reliable than BMWs are now, but they were never considered reliable in my book compared to a Honda. Mid 90s BMWs had cooling systems full of brittle plastic, just like today. I replaced at least half of the cooling system in my friend's 5 series when we were 17 yrs old, mainly because it was total shit to start with and every part of the system basically fell apart if you touched it.

Either way, when they break down- you get ***** on parts. Same now as it was 30 years ago.

bobn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude... this is the deal. The Raptor holds value better than most vehicles (maybe just under Porsche), but if you sell or trade after the 1st year... there is going to be a significant drop of MSRP. The next year and the next will drop significantly less.

Now let’s talk about your BMW plan. I too have a plan for a BMW and the Raptor is a means to that end. However... the M3 is not a transition vehicle for a Raptor owner. If you pay $70k for a new or near new M3, you will loose half of that after 3 years ($30-35k!). Have you driven the M3/4? It’s a young mans vehicle (20-30 year olds), it’s cold and hard inside, harsh riding and unforgiving.

My plan is to transition to a 2018/2019 M5 in 3 years. The $70k Raptor will still be worth $55-60k and the $120k M5 will also be around $55-60k... a smooth transition and someone else eats that $60k M5 depreciation.

I assumed the last 6 months of a lease on a 2015 M5. Seat was very uncomfortable. Had a constant ache in my leg when I had the car, didn't even realize it was from the car until I turned in the lease, and no more ache in my leg a week later and I put 2 and 2 together.

I thought the leather wasn't that great of quality, the laguna leather in a Dodge / Jeep Grand Cherokee seems much, much nicer along with seats being more comfortable. IMO

And talk about a PITA to get in and out of the M5 as it sits so low to the ground. At least for a person that is 6'3" tall.

BUT, that M5 was faaaaaaassssst! You'd be going 35, smash the pedal to the floor and you'd be at 80 just like that and wouldn't even feel like it.

Now let's talk about your BMW plan. lol

Once used to sitting up high in a truck, then going to a low rider; well I have a truck and when I drive our car I just don't like sitting that low. Plus really it's safer being in a big ol' truck.

Maybe you want to look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk?

Mercedes SUV AMG?

Last edited: