The Synthetic Switch - Blend First?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
A lot of people switch from conventional to synthetic oil. On bikes it's generally recommended to go from conventional to PART synthetic first, and then to FULL syn on the next change. Anybody ever heard of this being applied to v8's?

I followed this for my bike but never for my cage's. I've never noticed any difference, but I was wondering if there's anything to it.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just drain the engine well and switch. I do this on all my vehicles, ATV's, and motorcycles. I have never had an issue with it.

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my first oil change I went straight to Royal Purple and haven't had any problems. Which reminds me I need to change it again but it just so cold outside and my garage isn't heated.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Old school used to be run dino oil for about 5k miles then switch to full synthetic. Today's motors can do full synthetic from day one. A large percentage of new cars come from the factory with full syn.

On bikes you do the transition so the wet clutch doesn't start slipping. Even that is becoming old school. Now most bikes with integrated transmissions use full syn from new.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yup - I run full synth in mine after the first change from the dealer - it really makes a difference on long runs and cold starts. I mean damn cold starts. It hit -50C just south of here on Monday.

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
how does it make a difference in the cold? engine warm up a lot faster?

It will start up smoother and run better while warming up. The performance additives resist colder (and warmer) temperatures better than convention-oil.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What other benefits are there? I'm still running Motorcraft but have been considering making the switch also.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
It lasts longer Bo.
Dealer did my first oil change and didn't use synthetic. I changed the oil after about 4,000km as I heard the valves rattling - the oil was pure black.
I've got about 5,5000 km now running synthetic, and the oil still has the color of honey.