GEN 1 The last Ford I'll ever buy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking that due to the truck not being driven a lot, is it possible that the shock seals dried out resulting in a leak? Not to derail but I'm storing my stockers as spares in an upright position. Is that correct?

D

Deleted member 12951

I'd EXPECT them to be junk with twice the mileage or years on them. My issue is they fact they failed with so few miles, and very very easy miles to boot.

- Travis

Did you replace the coilover? It looks white in the picture, geisers perhaps?

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd EXPECT them to be junk with twice the mileage or years on them. My issue is they fact they failed with so few miles, and very very easy miles to boot.

- Travis

Shocks can fail at anytime. Some will bow out at 5k, while some keep chugging until 100k.

You can find take offs with a few thousand miles for well under $2,300 or ship yours off for a rebuild if you can live without your truck for a few weeks.

13raptorcrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade it in and move on, clearly there is a bad taste in your mouth. They make a Reaper, a Warrior, a Rebel, a **** Pro, the choices are plenty.

Hmm, my power steering went out, my shocks are leaking, my headlight shutter stuck, my steering wheel peeled, my wheel speed sensor took a shit, a tire sensor took a shit, Brake caliper seized, Come to think about it, the tires went to shit (replaced them with Goodyears and they went to shit). 76000 miles and I don't even blink an eye (or bitch). Yet you ask anybody and I will recommend a Ford any day, a Raptor any day, Motocraft parts any day(better get my fire suit ready), and Goodyear tires any day... Just beat the crap out of it off roading and hit 108mph on the highway heading home. What a pile.

D

Deleted member 12951

Trade it in and move on, clearly there is a bad taste in your mouth. They make a Reaper, a Warrior, a Rebel, a **** Pro, the choices are plenty.

Hmm, my power steering went out, my shocks are leaking, my headlight shutter stuck, my steering wheel peeled, my wheel speed sensor took a shit, a tire sensor took a shit, Brake caliper seized, Come to think about it, the tires went to shit (replaced them with Goodyears and they went to shit). 76000 miles and I don't even blink an eye (or bitch). Yet you ask anybody and I will recommend a Ford any day, a Raptor any day, Motocraft parts any day(better get my fire suit ready), and Goodyear tires any day... Just beat the crap out of it off roading and hit 108mph on the highway heading home. What a pile.

Yeah, not a fan of Goodyear but that's just me. Probably cause that new last owned GM Chevy POS 86' Z28 had Goodyears....man I can hold a grudge. :biggrin:

OP
OP
trayack

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking that due to the truck not being driven a lot, is it possible that the shock seals dried out resulting in a leak? Not to derail but I'm storing my stockers as spares in an upright position. Is that correct?

Yes my truck has low miles on, but I drive it every single day. I live on small island off the coast of MA (Nantucket) so everything is packaged close together. I live within three miles of work....and I work A LOT of hours so the mileage doesn't rack up. There's ample dirt roads and several cobblestone streets so the shocks get cycled plenty to keep the seals lubed. If the truck just sat for weeks/months on end I'd completely expect this sort of issue. Actually, of the 28K on my truck right now, 10K of that is towing my race car all over the damn country for Hot Rod Drag Week that I've competed in for the last few years.

Did you replace the coilover? It looks white in the picture, geisers perhaps?

Springs were swapped out for the Geiser's prior to the winter. The leaking right front shock has happened after that swap. Now before everyone spouts off with all of the "well its an aftermarket spring that caused it", or "obviously you messed it up during the swap" please remember that this leak is a fairly common issue even with the factory springs installed, as with my friends Raptor with 17K on it.

For Christ sakes people...I'll state YET AGAIN, that the shock issues and how Ford has chosen to handle it (overall) is the straw that broke the camels back for me. That being the case, there have been many, many straws prior to that with all sorts of Ford products that I drive. Add all of these experiences up, and I get to where I am now....

I won't be selling my truck any time soon I don't think. However, when it comes time to move on to another vehicle I will not be choosing a Ford product, its as simple as that.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We owned a ton GM suburban and Denali XLs and they were solid but we never owned them for more than 18 months. I drive a ton of GM cars as rentals and they are overall way below the imports. We drove a ton of Dodge min- vans as company cars and they broke all the time under warranty.

The BMWs we've owned have been rock solid. Maybe go for a Titan?

OP
OP
trayack

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We owned a ton GM suburban and Denali XLs and they were solid but we never owned them for more than 18 months. I drive a ton of GM cars as rentals and they are overall way below the imports. We drove a ton of Dodge min- vans as company cars and they broke all the time under warranty.

The BMWs we've owned have been rock solid. Maybe go for a Titan?

I don't intend on giving up on the Raptor any time soon, I just won't be buying the new one, or an F150 of any level. It will be another few years before I even start looking at this truck's replacement unless all hell breaks loose with it.

My daily before this truck was an 04 Tahoe Z71 that I bought new. Absolutely loved that thing, and never had an issue with it whatsoever. Life changed for me (divorce) and I wanted to move into a truck that's the only reason I sold the Tahoe.

I'm a pretty big fan of the LS engines (see my sig) and hope that by the time I'm in the market for a new rig the minor quirks with the new LT1 engine variants will be worked out by then.

I'm just SOOOOO thankful the Raptor doesn't have the 5.4 in it. Those motors are garbage, at best.

- Travis

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Springs were swapped out for the Geiser's prior to the winter. The leaking right front shock has happened after that swap. Now before everyone spouts off with all of the "well its an aftermarket spring that caused it", or "obviously you messed it up during the swap" please remember that this leak is a fairly common issue even with the factory springs installed, as with my friends Raptor with 17K on it.

Ford and Fox would go out of business if they replaced all of our shocks after the warranty has expired. Even if the truck was still under warranty, as others have said, the shocks are a wear item. Also, the claim could be denied due to the fact that you have aftermarket coil springs. Have the shocks rebuilt and they will perform better than when they were new.

FYI, I also tried to have my shocks replaced under the extended warranty, so I feel your pain. GL

I'm not suggesting that you damaged the shocks while installing the coils, or that you installed them incorrectly. I'm not saying that the coils even contributed to the shocks failing. What I am saying is that even if you were not out of the warranty period, Ford could use the fact that you "changed" the suspension which "may" have contributed to the failure.

I didn't try to hide the fact that I had gone to mid perch when I asked Ford to warranty my shocks/struts. But, I knew that they could have used that to deny the claim.

Agent_X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I read in another thread on here you done some towing with your raptor, you claimed almost 10k miles of towing, remember that these trucks weren't built with towing in mind. Lots of towing can be part of the reason of why you would need to rebuild your shocks very early in consideration to mileage.