GEN 1 The Gen 1 Raptor Experience.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you see a Gen 1, you know rt away it's a RAPTOR. I always have to take a couple looks when I see a Gen 2 or 3 on the road to know its a RAPTOR. All the f150s have a very similar front end. But the Gen 1 was always different from anything else on the road. Dont get me wrong, I love em all but the Gen 1 is and always will be in a class all by itself. And above all its a True Work Horse

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing with the gen1 is that there was nothing out there like it before, ever. That's why it's great, or important, or iconic, whatever the term is. Not necessarily the best, but there was no bar set before it. And I think for a first shot, it was amazing. I think it can somewhat compare to when the mustang debuted, but to a lesser degree. It will be a collector someday in my eyes.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"And I think for a first shot, it was amazing" Except for the missing transmission dipstick. And the under engineered leaf springs. And using off the shelf front brakes with 35" tires. Gen 2 was a clean sheet design and they used every new electronic gimmick they had. But in the three years before the 2nd Gen came out they didn't ask Gen 1 owners about those three things? " do you enjoy being able to stop your 3 ton Raptor?"... "should we improve the 600 year old design of the leaf springs?"... "Are you okay with 3rd degree burns when you need to check your trans level?" Rather than "are there enough new bells and whistles to impress your friends?"

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes and springs can easily be modified at a reasonable cost if one chooses to. As far as techy stuff, well I'm not in to all that techy stuff and there always seems to be problems with techy stuff. Drive train is SOLID. The truck does everything I want it to do and Then Some. I have other cars that have the techy stuff. Just me saying that I don't need it in a truck. I have a brand new 2022 Challenger that has all the gimics and so does my wifes Ford Edge. My Gen 1 still puts mores smiles on my face when I drive it. Like what Fordfreak said and hit the nail on the head that there was Nothing like a Gen 1 when it 1st came out and for a 1st attempt of such a Truck Ford did a pretty good job

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't perfect. I hate the missing trans dipstick as much as anyone. Could've been better. Could've been worse. Imagine if you were a Chevy fan boy, they're still waiting for something comparable. Mopar guys finally got theirs. I'm glad ford tested the market for such a truck and found enough success to still be building them today. Remember when all you could buy was a standard width truck with the big 265 tires, lol? This is the only truck I haven't put bigger tires on..... yet.;)

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It wasn't perfect. I hate the missing trans dipstick as much as anyone.
I gave up on the B&M trans dipstick I ordered arriving anytime soon. Instead, I ordered a $23 Chevy LS conversion aftermark dipstick. Checking out the thread size and dimensions of the Ford dipstick; and I'm going to make up a transition piece from the 6r80 pan to the generic dipstick (that is wide enough to actually FILL IT, UNLIKE the B&M $280 unit). I checked out all the youtube videos and noticed that they never show how to top off the fluid. I'll post pictures when it's tested and done.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Brakes and springs can easily be modified at a reasonable cost if one chooses to.
A set of Deavers installed by your local shop (including new shackles, longer brake lines, trimming back the exhaust tips), is over $2000. You still need longer shocks to accommodate the increased travel. I bet the per unit cost of the weak factory leaf springs and shackles (at production numbers exceeding 1400 trucks a day in the past), was maybe $300 each?

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A set of Deavers installed by your local shop (including new shackles, longer brake lines, trimming back the exhaust tips), is over $2000. You still need longer shocks to accommodate the increased travel. I bet the per unit cost of the weak factory leaf springs and shackles (at production numbers exceeding 1400 trucks a day in the past), was maybe $300 each?
I actually never had a problem with my Springs. I'm not out there trying to go baja riding. For me the truck does everything I want it to and then some. Its been a Very nice and Solid daily driver for many years. Now its my weekend toy going to MX tracks with my bike and occasionally rip it down some old dirt roads and having fun and flying through deep Snow after a Noreaster dumping.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I and alot if people just enjoy it as is. You can modify any vehicle to fit your needs and wants. I have already seen people modifying there Gen 3s on the Forum and the Gen 3 is much more purposely built for off road more than mine will ever be. I like the truckyness of the Gen1