GEN 2 Tapping into bed lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to add some LED strip lights to the new topper I have coming for my 18. I have the factory bed lights with the switch in the cab/bed. Has anyone tapped into the lights to add more? The LED strips total are 43w, so not much draw at all. Thinking I could maybe pop out the light on each side, tap into the + and - on the harness for those lights and then possibly run the wire over to one of the bed holes and up from there. I'd like to have them on the factory switch for obvious reasons. I suppose I could also tap them into the home runs I made for my Rigid reverse lights, and turn them on with the upfitter switch, but I'd rather have them contained to the bed lights.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
be careful. I’ve tried this and threw a DTC on the BCM, killing my bed lights and upper brake light if I remember correctly. The wire to the bed lights is the thinnest electrical circuit conduit I’ve seen not on a circuit board ! if you add anything to it, that will probably push it to the limit.

I can tell you that 3 amps rated draw is too much, I am not able to say how much you can add without trouble.

good luck !

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to add some LED strip lights to the new topper I have coming for my 18. I have the factory bed lights with the switch in the cab/bed. Has anyone tapped into the lights to add more? The LED strips total are 43w, so not much draw at all. Thinking I could maybe pop out the light on each side, tap into the + and - on the harness for those lights and then possibly run the wire over to one of the bed holes and up from there. I'd like to have them on the factory switch for obvious reasons. I suppose I could also tap them into the home runs I made for my Rigid reverse lights, and turn them on with the upfitter switch, but I'd rather have them contained to the bed lights.
5000+ lumens is needed for the topper? Think the original ones are probably 3 watts each or something to that sort.

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful. I’ve tried this and threw a DTC on the BCM, killing my bed lights and upper brake light if I remember correctly. The wire to the bed lights is the thinnest electrical circuit conduit I’ve seen not on a circuit board ! if you add anything to it, that will probably push it to the limit.

I can tell you that 3 amps rated draw is too much, I am not able to say how much you can add without trouble.

good luck !

Agree. I was under the truck last night looking into adding some lights to the bottom of the canister for my Retrax. The wiring is super thin, even at the home run from engine bay to the switch. On my last truck I tapped into the trailer harness for fulltime/dedicated power and added an IP67 switch to an existing hole in the bed.

Thanks for saving me the headache of trying to tap into it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Be wary of the hitch too. The harness there uses some “smart” sensing and doesn’t send power unless it senses a draw, and I think all the doors have to be closed, correct moon phase, etc.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

good luck !

Have to do it with a relay. Which complicates things a bit. A home run to the battery for fused power and ground.

OP
OP
Proflyer

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5000+ lumens is needed for the topper? Think the original ones are probably 3 watts each or something to that sort.
Not 5000 lumens, maybe the tech info in the amazon listing is wrong. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZGNDTC/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

That's what I'd like to add. I guess I can tap into the 10g wires I ran to the ADD bumper for my backup lights and they'll both just come on at the same time. I'm not going to be in the back enough to need it all the time, so I suppose that'll work just fine. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Proflyer

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good luck !
Yikes! Don't want anything to do with that. I guess Ford ran the minimum wire needed to service all the electrical, probably saved a bazillion by not over-engineering it.

Ken4570

Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter