Taller wheels w/lift or no lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCBen

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't recommend a lift on a raptor but its your truck. I have ford racing 3.0 shocks up front which lifts 1.5-2 ish? the pinch welds done etc etc and ran 37s but do to the negatives of them i went back to 35s. I couldn't "offroad" much without new fenders etc. full extension would have torn them off but i didn't rub with that setup. Wheels are zero offset and tires were only 12.5 wide. any wider tires and probably would have rubbed.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think it's a safe conclusion that those that want bigger wheels, tires, or a lift are doing so because they think it looks cool, others will think it looks cool, at the truck will drive the same as it did before. Nothing wrong with letting know that it's not as cool as think, they won't garner the respect they think they will, and it does have an impact on performance. Information any rational person would want to know.

NCBen

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think it's a safe conclusion that those that want bigger wheels, tires, or a lift are doing so because they think it looks cool, others will think it looks cool, at the truck will drive the same as it did before. Nothing wrong with letting know that it's not as cool as think, they won't garner the respect they think they will, and it does have an impact on performance. Information any rational person would want to know.

Agreed. Just providing my real world exp with this setup.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please no... the type of people who want to do this are buying the wrong vehicle in the first place. Youd be better off buying a Cadillac or caminos if you really want a bed and/or soft suspension (really any luxury vehicle can accomplish this. /end rant

With 37s, if it's just being drivin on the street, you should be fine but I would at least add a leveling kit to the monster you're about to give birth to. If it's ever going to see dirt then it's going to cost a lot more... say like $15k more.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 37s, if it's just being drivin on the street, you should be fine but I would at least add a leveling kit to the monster you're about to give birth to. If it's ever going to see dirt then it's going to cost a lot more... say like $15k more.
I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly, but it does not cost near $15k to run 37" tires off road. My Gen1 on mid-perch fits them fine with +2/+2 fenders and pinch welds flattened. If I had to do it again, I would have bought +3 or 4 fenders because I have slight rub at full compression, but it is truly fine as is. For my specific 37" tires I had to get wheels (17") with one additional inch of offset as the sidewall was barely touching the tie rod. Wheels, fenders, and paint were maybe $2k. I guess the tires themselves were like $2k as well to get 6, but that still is only ~$5k.

Now, something I didn't really think about when going from a new truck to off-roading was the ~$10k worth of shit I needed to buy that had little to do with actual performance. Bump stops, chase rack, second spare, radio, GPS, frame-cut bumper, etc. If you are meaning that type stuff, you are absolutely correct.

OP
OP
G

Gearbox

Reaction score
Look like expensive forged purpose built man wheels

but yeah have at it w/ the twinky twinkies on dubs broseph, I’m sure it’ll ride like it’s on pillows & not lose an OZ of performance or value (hahahahaha)
I bought my Raptor without really knowing the finer points of off-road. I knew I wanted to off-road my sweet new off-road capable truck, but might have mistakenly errored on the side of looks without fully realizing it lowered performance. I try to provide one sincere, honest post for new members that may be in the same boat. I also love to read these threads for the flames. :smiley-face-popcorn

that’s a great way to look at it. And yes I am familiar with off roading and wheel sizes. Nonetheless, I appreciate the input.

OP
OP
G

Gearbox

Reaction score
Don’t let the haters tell you what you should do or don’t do. They didn’t pay for your car or making car payments for you. You do you and **** the haterade drinkers. I put 20” wheels on 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Rides fantastic and off road to fishing spots with no issues. Yea, I so what if people drive their cars through Starbucks or park in malls? Bitch boards always going to have people to find fault in everything.View attachment 159392
View attachment 159391

stock height?