Taller wheels w/lift or no lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghstfce

Reaction score
My guess is you never intended to use your Raptor offroad. If that's the case you could've saved money and bought a regular F150.
I bought mine for the performance, speed and look. Will do a bit of off-roading but not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think it's a safe conclusion that those that want bigger wheels, tires, or a lift are doing so because they think it looks cool, others will think it looks cool, at the truck will drive the same as it did before. Nothing wrong with letting know that it's not as cool as think, they won't garner the respect they think they will, and it does have an impact on performance. Information any rational person would want to know.

You a hater!!

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly, but it does not cost near $15k to run 37" tires off road. My Gen1 on mid-perch fits them fine with +2/+2 fenders and pinch welds flattened. If I had to do it again, I would have bought +3 or 4 fenders because I have slight rub at full compression, but it is truly fine as is. For my specific 37" tires I had to get wheels (17") with one additional inch of offset as the sidewall was barely touching the tie rod. Wheels, fenders, and paint were maybe $2k. I guess the tires themselves were like $2k as well to get 6, but that still is only ~$5k.

Now, something I didn't really think about when going from a new truck to off-roading was the ~$10k worth of shit I needed to buy that had little to do with actual performance. Bump stops, chase rack, second spare, radio, GPS, frame-cut bumper, etc. If you are meaning that type stuff, you are absolutely correct.

Edit: read your full response afterwards and yes I was including everything from long travel, to wheels and tires with included labor.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for the performance, speed and look. Will do a bit of off-roading but not much.

Just keep in mind Raptors are not sports cars. Theyre purpose built for off road use. and with the Tesla Cybertruck and Rivian, Hummer trucks on their way Raptors will be old slow fossil burning dinosaurs. They will still be relevant offroad but your street racer days will be done. Those super thin tires will not hold up offroad is all we're saying, especially in rocks.

Need4SpeedMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2020 raptor 801A
I’ve seen to many different options with raptors. My goal is to put 20” on a 37” tire and I’m not sure if I can get back with. 2” lift or if I have to go 4”. I’d like to see how a 35” tires looks on a 20” wheel as I’m not set it stone on 37’s.

I like the regular height that the truck is but the 17” with so much tire under it looks ugly to me.

many ideas or advise.

Hey there we sell wheels and tires, for a 20x9" wheel, with a 20+ offset we recommend between a 1.5-2.5" lift, anything with a lower offset a higher lift would be recommended in some cases.
Good luck with the build. I pasted our fitment guide below
2017-2020 Raptor (20x9" Wheel)
* Stock Height – 35”
* 1.5-2.5” Lift – 37”
* 4” Lift – 37” tires

Ghstfce

Reaction score
Ok so I found the wheels I want. I have a 2019 stock raptor. I want 18” (maybe 20) wheel with the stock 35” tire. What do I need to make this happen ?
f84d5f8d7773412a69af84ad979c4afa.jpg

venraptav

Reaction score
Ok so I found the wheels I want. I have a 2019 stock raptor. I want 18” (maybe 20) wheel with the stock 35” tire. What do I need to make this happen ?

If all you want is to +1 or +3 your wheels while maintaining stock tire size you just need to buy the wheels you want and then choose the specific tire you want in a 35/12.50 x 18 or 20. Once you have the wheels and tires they will need to be mounted and balanced. Would also be highly recommended to get an alignment.

This will most likely put you into a Load Range E tire vs the stock BFG KO2 Load Range C. You’ll have a slightly stiffer ride from the stiffer sidewall as well as the larger wheel (less rubber to act as a cushion). Won’t be terrible despite what some here might say..

venraptav

Reaction score
Those super thin tires will not hold up offroad is all we're saying, especially in rocks.

I disagree.

2017 SCrew on stock suspension and I’m running Venomrex VR601 20x9 +12 offset with 35/12.50/20 BFG KO2 Load Range E. Daily psi of 37-38. Daily driving comfort level is not compromised.

I live in Utah. Within 3 hours I can be in the desert, dunes, mountains, fire roads, etc. If I’m having fun I air down to 20-24psi and get after it. No issues. I also know how to drive. That might go further then having all the sidewall or suspension travel in the world.

Think about this:

Stock 17” wheels on ~ 35s gives you 9” of sidewall.

20” wheels on 37s (OPs desired setup) gives you 8.5” of sidewall.

I’d argue the stiffer Load Range tire is going to do more to “diminish” ride quality on/off-road then going to 20s and 37s will. Also don’t think he’s going to crack his wheels the second his truck leaves the pavement.

Where’s @911 Crazy to chime in? He may have the purest mall cruiser on here. But so what. That’s what he wanted. Kudos to him.