Tailgate help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My Raptor came with a standard tailgate, without camera, without step or pole. I picked up a tailgate today with all of the bells and whistles from a buddy that switched to a tire gate.

I need to know if the process of switching everything over (non matching colors) is a quick process, or if it is even possible. I have not looked to hard at it, but I know that I do not want to try to get the paint matched while over here in Abu Dhabi.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bink

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
just to clarify, you want to transfer the step, camera and stripper pole to your tailgate rather than having your new one painted to match? i don't know if it's possible but i was confused at your post at first.

how about having the non color matched tailgate wrapped matte black vinyl? you have a red Raptor with factory graphics right? that might look cool :)

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgate will swap out, just disconnect the left and right cables, tilt the tail gate to the propper angle and off it goes,don't know if you can swap out the step to yor tail gat, but camera will, you should also have the plug for the camera right near the spair tire driver side, the problem is it will be cheaper to go with a bypass system such as lock-pick or nav-tv, the factory module/modules and programing from the dealership will cost you more, and you can also add a front camera down the road with the by-pass systems, BIG PLUS-- can turn front or rear camera on anytime, set it to auto reverse and drive parking, turns your nav to DVD all the time, and nav input while in motion, 60 sec, better be a fast typer, and it is a little dangerous.
There will be more to chim in shortly

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bink1109

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for you input. Is it possible to swap out components (step and pole)? Or is it easier to just get the new gate painted?

OP
OP
Bink1109

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to clarify, you want to transfer the step, camera and stripper pole to your tailgate rather than having your new one painted to match? i don't know if it's possible but i was confused at your post at first.

how about having the non color matched tailgate wrapped matte black vinyl? you have a red Raptor with factory graphics right? that might look cool :)

Really cool idea. Thanks!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the stripper pole and step on my tailgate and I'm guessing that the swap-out might involve moving the tailgate panel with the stripper pole. Unless your tailgate panel is already set up for it.

Why not just unscrew the panel off of the tailgates and see if you need to swap 'em?

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the pole off mine. Bought the flat panel to replace it. Had to go back to get different screws for the panel. I forget which was longer, but you will need to move the screws for the poles' panel.

OP
OP
Bink1109

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just got around to doing the tail gate wrap. Took a minute to get used to, but I really like it.u7a9uvur.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

Probably would look cool if you continued that black wrap over the top and on the hood to the grill, staying inside the bend on the hood. Not looking too bad though.