Tailgate closing trick.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
So today my kid says he saw a video online of a guy "auto" closing his tailgate by nudging it up with his knee. Sure enough it works. I've been fumbling around looking for a the button with my finger for 8 months, harder to find than a g spot. I do use the tailgate several times a day. To be fair I didn't read the manual, so I don't know if it's in there, don't yell at me. Figured I would share.
View attachment tailgate.mp4

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup. not a new trick. or you can just lift it a few inches with your hand and let go. obviously does the same thing. no need to use the button on the tailgate. thats more to open it. since my hands are generally free after I load it I mostly use the key fob anyway as I walk to to get into the truck. no need for the knee or the hand either. but I can see that come into play sometimes. Ive also just use the button on the dash to close it when I get in sometimes.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
yup. not a new trick. or you can just lift it a few inches with your had and let go. it'll go up by itself. no need to use the button or a knee. thats more to open it. since my hands are generally free after I load it I mostly use the key fob anyway as I walk to to get in. no need for the knee. but I can see that come into play sometimes. Ive also just use the button on the dash to close it when I get in.
I don't take my fob out of my pocket until I get home. When I close it I'm usually holding a tablet and my toolbag. I love it.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a button on the dash to close the tailgate? Do tell..
down by the headlight knob and the cargo light button and the mirror spotlight buttons. . its the tailgate release. also closes it. just hit the camera after you hit it you know its shut also the tailgate ajar indicator goes off. no brainer. if you can see backwards and not the ground with the tailgate camera when its in reverse and indicator light is off its obviously closed.

not the raptor in the video but the button is in the same area.

Last edited:

NYC Raptor

Reaction score
This happened to me by accident recently. I loaded something into the bed and probably lifted the tailgate a bit and it closed by itself. I was trying to get it to do it again by waving my hand around thinking there was a sensor and it never happened lol. Finding the button was a pain. Thanks for this.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
down by the headlight knob and the cargo light button and the mirror spotlight buttons. . its the tailgate release. also closes it. just hit the camera after you hit it you know its shut also the tailgate ajar indicator goes off. no brainer. if you can see backwards and not the ground with the tailgate camera when its in reverse and indicator light is off its obviously closed.

Lol. Push this button, mash this dial, look at the screen, etc. Just hit it with your knee and go on about your day. ;)

Reaction score

No button for me, mine isn't fancy enough I guess :) Probably a good thing as I'm still learning what all the other buttons do..