SVC Smurf Bumper Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest though, I bought an SVC front bumper and was not at all impressed with the quality. I have their bypass rack and it’s constructed extremely well, but I ended up selling the bumper as the tubing was very thin, lightweight, and not even capped on the ends.
No problems with mine, even moreso a year later when I got a light bar, the mounts they provided were perfect.

Hey everyone, over this past weekend I finally got to install my SVC Smurf bumper on the truck. Installation was fairly straightforward, minus the complete lack of instructions other than 1 picture on SVC’s website. Shoutout to Fodded_Cockpit for providing the measurements on this old thread:
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/svc-baja-smurf-bumper.71366/
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/svc-baja-smurf-bumper.71366/

Things that I didn’t have in my garage but ended up needing:
-26mm socket
-1.1” drill bit (to auger out the holes in the frame rails a touch)
-big a$$ wrench (power steering rack bolts)

So hooray because it was an excuse to buy more tools? If anyone has any additional questions on where/how to cut, or wants to see some more pics then let me know.

Happy New Years!
Came out great! Yes the cuts aren't described well but I think if you get anywhere close it'll work heh. The biggest thing is don't let the grinder get away from you lol! Blacked out on a red truck looks AWESOME!

OP
OP
MrGable27

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest though, I bought an SVC front bumper and was not at all impressed with the quality. I have their bypass rack and it’s constructed extremely well, but I ended up selling the bumper as the tubing was very thin, lightweight, and not even capped on the ends.

I’ll be honest, I’m less than impressed with my experience with SVC as well. No instructions, almost no input when I stopped by their shop to talk to them, and then providing the wrong sized spacers for the frame rails annoyed me. They also gave me a skid plate that looked like an intern hit it with a Scotch brite pad, but after speaking with Jeff they swapped me a powdercoated one.

And interesing, because they did give me caps for the ends...

OP
OP
MrGable27

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems with mine, even moreso a year later when I got a light bar, the mounts they provided were perfect.

Came out great! Yes the cuts aren't described well but I think if you get anywhere close it'll work heh. The biggest thing is don't let the grinder get away from you lol! Blacked out on a red truck looks AWESOME!

Thank you kindly! I must’ve measured and marked each side like 5 times, and then I made my brother actually chop them lol. Too much pressure!

I actually wanted a raw aluminum skid plate at first, but the first one they gave me was...not great. So SVC swapped me for a black powdercoated one which I think looks even better now.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I’m less than impressed with my experience with SVC as well. No instructions, almost no input when I stopped by their shop to talk to them, and then providing the wrong sized spacers for the frame rails annoyed me. They also gave me a skid plate that looked like an intern hit it with a Scotch brite pad, but after speaking with Jeff they swapped me a powdercoated one.

And interesing, because they did give me caps for the ends...
I don’t like to get into the game of he said she said about different brands, but I’ve had a much much better customer service experience speaking with RPG. I bought the SVC rack because I found one used, but I called RPG before making the decision and their engineer was more than happy to talk to me for any length of time regarding all of my questions and the reasoning behind all of their design decisions.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t like to get into the game of he said she said about different brands, but I’ve had a much much better customer service experience speaking with RPG. I bought the SVC rack because I found one used, but I called RPG before making the decision and their engineer was more than happy to talk to me for any length of time regarding all of my questions and the reasoning behind all of their design decisions.
I don’t either heh, had a hard time deciding between SVC and RPG when I got bumpers, really like both.

OP
OP
MrGable27

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So I actually purchased my fiberwerx fenders from RPG, and when I went to pick them up they asked me if I wanted a tour of their shop! Don’t remember who gave me the tour, but he probably spent 45 minutes just taking me around their facility, showing me all of their equipment, and talking to me about the offroad world. Literally could not have asked for a better experience.

Awesome group of people, and I’ll be sure to continue giving them my business.

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted RPG’s Tommy Gun bumper more, but it was just so much more expensive than SVC’s...especially during Black Friday. Glad you like yours though!

I really like the clean look!
Nicely done...
Question: is that a light bar well hidden (covertly) behind your grill below the Ford logo?

If so what flavor?
:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrGable27

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the clean look!
Nicely done...
Question: is that a light bar well hidden (covertly) behind your grill below the Ford logo?

If so what flavor?
:)

Good eye! Yep it’s a Rigid light bar that the previous owner threw on there, but the wiring is kind of ass so one of these weekends I’ll strip it out and redo it.