sunroof stuck open..... again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svtchris1021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK! so yesterday was one of those perfect days at work, after a rough weekend i finally got the promotion i wanted, + rest of the week off, "like a boss" i though so i decided to end up the day with windows down and some good old papa roach for the way home.

When opening my sunroof, all i hear is CRACK! CRACK! CRACK! and it slides back, its been stuck open since yesterday, i tried to pull it foward with no luck since its sliced back by it self, so i know at least the rails still work, its second time it happends! so i call my dealer and said last work on the sunroof was done 2 yrs ago, and they only cover up to a yr, WTF! i told them its a good damn defect since its already the second time, im at 40k miles so im out of warranty and of course they dont want to cover it, didnt make my mind on buying the extension because "HEY" what could go wrong with a new sunroof assembly .....

so best advice they gave me was contact FORD direclty, put a complain and see if they wanted to cover it...... my plan B would be tear the roof down and see whats causing the problem, any of you guys have exp with that? ima call FORD in a few mins to see what they say.. :/

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK! so yesterday was one of those perfect days at work, after a rough weekend i finally got the promotion i wanted, + rest of the week off, "like a boss" i though so i decided to end up the day with windows down and some good old papa roach for the way home.

When opening my sunroof, all i hear is CRACK! CRACK! CRACK! and it slides back, its been stuck open since yesterday, i tried to pull it foward with no luck since its sliced back by it self, so i know at least the rails still work, its second time it happends! so i call my dealer and said last work on the sunroof was done 2 yrs ago, and they only cover up to a yr, WTF! i told them its a good damn defect since its already the second time, im at 40k miles so im out of warranty and of course they dont want to cover it, didnt make my mind on buying the extension because "HEY" what could go wrong with a new sunroof assembly .....

so best advice they gave me was contact FORD direclty, put a complain and see if they wanted to cover it...... my plan B would be tear the roof down and see whats causing the problem, any of you guys have exp with that? ima call FORD in a few mins to see what they say.. :/

More than likely the plastic sliders that move the glass back and forth have cracked. I had the same issue on mine but i have ESP. I ended up pulling the head liner and dropping the assembly so I could slide the glass back into place. Now if someone can get a good part (or a broken one that is easy enough to get measurements from) to me I and probably model and 3d print replacements.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...so best advice they gave me was contact FORD direclty, put a complain and see if they wanted to cover it...... my plan B would be tear the roof down and see whats causing the problem, any of you guys have exp with that? ima call FORD in a few mins to see what they say.. :/

Get in touch with me as well, svtchris1021; I'll see what can be done to help from my neck of the woods. To get started, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

OP
OP
svtchris1021

svtchris1021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you crystal

T_j i believe last time they change the whole rails, because they were like 4 different parts, hopefully its just something simple i already open up a case on ford, and im expecting a call from a regional manager tomorrow

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you crystal

T_j i believe last time they change the whole rails, because they were like 4 different parts, hopefully its just something simple i already open up a case on ford, and im expecting a call from a regional manager tomorrow

Yeah you can't by replacement plastic parts to rebuild it so you have to replace the whole assembly. Offer still stands that if someone can get the parts to me I should be able to make replacements.