GEN 1 Sunroof Stuck Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cturnbo

Reaction score
That sucks , how many miles ? I did routine maintenance on mine to make sure I didn't have any issues, hoping it helped me out. Some of these guys might be able to walk you through fixing it....dealership is outrageous for sure. But I have no idea what it's going to take to.fix yours. @The Car Stereo Company might have some insight
154k. I’d like to try but that’s much more than I’ve ever taken on. Makes me nervous. I knew the previous owner and he kept up with the maintenance. Crappy parts or design. Or both.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

154k. I’d like to try but that’s much more than I’ve ever taken on. Makes me nervous. I knew the previous owner and he kept up with the maintenance. Crappy parts or design. Or both.
If you have someone to help, it'll be easy. Takes some time, but nothing is particularly difficult.

Parts are here:

220 + shipping gets you new slider parts and a new seal around the glass.

OP
OP
C

cturnbo

Reaction score
Ordered parts from Sunroof Doctor (should have ordered glass seal but didn’t). Found someone more knowledgeable than me. We both had it finished just under two hours. Dealer and third party shop both quoted 2-3k. And they were both only willing to sell complete kit with motor.

OP
OP
C

cturnbo

Reaction score
If you have someone to help, it'll be easy. Takes some time, but nothing is particularly difficult.

Parts are here:

220 + shipping gets you new slider parts and a new seal around the glass.
Thanks for the fast shipping! Your product is highly regarded in Texas.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered parts from Sunroof Doctor (should have ordered glass seal but didn’t). Found someone more knowledgeable than me. We both had it finished just under two hours. Dealer and third party shop both quoted 2-3k. And they were both only willing to sell complete kit with motor.
I always wonder when shops quote prices like that, is it that they just don't want to touch it or do they think that people are going to pay that? I grew up in European car shops so high bills are no stranger, but we always tried to find the most efficient fix (fixing/rebuilding a part or interchanging rather than replacing a whole sunroof cassette for example).

This is good info though. I use and grease my sunroof, but if it sticks it's good know some parts are available.