Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 1 Subwoofer enclosure

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]' started by Jhollowell, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jhollowell

Jhollowell Full Access Member

I looking at upgrading my audio system in the near future and wanted to build a custom enclosure for my new sub. I have access to a full wood shop with Cnc capability so building it won’t be an issue. I’m planning to use a JL Audio 10” TW3 in a down firing enclosure. After talking to JL they said i need 2” from the mounting surface to the floor so the sub doesn’t hit at full extension. My question is how to create that 2” gap. Do you fully enclose it? Put 2” “walls” around the bottom surface and just enclose the 4 sides? Or just put 4 posts at the corners to lift it off the floor? I can provide pictures if this is confusing but I’m sure some of the audio experts here know what I’m talking about. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JefeAZ

JefeAZ Full Access Member

3. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

You keeping your back seat? Between the woofer depth, the enclosure and the excursion its going to be a "tight" fit.

4. Anthony k

Anthony k Full Access Member

I have the 13.5 JL stealthbox. Surprisingly loud and clean

5. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

i never recommend down firing boxes. i have seen too many woofers fall due to being only held in by the 8 screws. you have the weight of the woofer, as well as the vibrations it creates all putting stress on the mount points. however if you do want to build a downfiring box you can recess the woofer into the box. this is an upfiring box, but we build it so when the seat is down, there is that gap you are talking about so the woofer doesnt hit anything. just imagine it upside down for you down firing setup

IMG_20200921_215539.jpg

CoronaRaptor likes this.