Stopping rear end sway under hard acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
40psi is a bit high, what tires are you running?
You need traction bars made for an off road truck; SVC & Rogue are the ones I’m aware of.

I would not go messing with the suspension geometry, ride height etc. until or unless you can successfully address the rear sway. I suspect that’s partially tire PSI, soft rear suspension, increased power output and the effect on the drive line.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Xlr8tin

Rear shackles and sway bar will help a lot.
But if your rear axle is way out of alignment, where the truck is dog legging down the road, you need to fix that first.
If you can, find a road with white line that will be on the driver's side and look out the window and see if the rear tire follows the front.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
You need traction bars made for an off road truck; SVC & Rogue are the ones I’m aware of.

I would not go messing with the suspension geometry, ride height etc. until or unless you can successfully address the rear sway. I suspect that’s partially tire PSI, soft rear suspension, increased power output and the effect on the drive line

I would not go messing with the suspension geometry, ride height etc. until or unless you can successfully address the rear sway. I suspect that’s partially tire PSI, soft rear suspension, increased power output and the effect on the drive line.
Yea I'm beginning to think this as well, how low should I go? 35, and how low is too low?

An off road traction bar setup makes sense, and now I can see a difference. Right now that's more money than I can to spend right now since I need many other things.

I have ridge grapplers, but I plan to get a new set by the summer. I was thinking of the Mickey Thompson Baja EXP since they are almost 10lbs lighter each tire. However; they are D rated when the ridge grapplers are E. I think the side walls on the Mickeys are thicker though.

I get my vehicles aligned whenever I get new tires. It's been a while for the truck, but The issue has been since I've owned the truck so in this case there's more to it.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
@Xlr8tin

Rear shackles and sway bar will help a lot.
But if your rear axle is way out of alignment, where the truck is dog legging down the road, you need to fix that first.
If you can, find a road with white line that will be on the driver's side and look out the window and see if the rear tire follows the front.
Ok, I may look more into them as next purchases.

This would be a great test. I will have to try it. I don't think it's the only issue if it is at all though since the problem has existed since I've owned it. I bought it after the supercharger was put on, and I'm still weeding out some other non related issues

Gryphon313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rear leafs are being twisted hard enough to cause the rear axle to steer the back end. If it were my truck, I would make sure that the axle is sitting in there nice and square and install traction bars.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Sounds like the rear leafs are being twisted hard enough to cause the rear axle to steer the back end. If it were my truck, I would make sure that the axle is sitting in there nice and square and install traction bars.
I brought it to my mechanic and had him look at the suspension after telling him my issue, and everything looked good. I just don't get why most all the other supercharged trucks like mine don't have any issues when they have the same suspension

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
I lowered the tire pressure down to 36 psi...although a little better/more stable up to 100mph once I reach 100 it starts to sway again so there was no point in going faster than that.

Maybe I should ask what everyone has their pressure set at in their tires?? Those that are supercharged without towing or a load in the back

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My gen 1 whipple would get a sway like a boat listing under acceleration stock shocks . I went to full Icon RXT setup in rear and Icon up front never had it happen after that .

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
My gen 1 whipple would get a sway like a boat listing under acceleration stock shocks . I went to full Icon RXT setup in rear and Icon up front never had it happen after that .
That would be nice but I'm not drop 10s of thousands of dollars into this truck. I wish

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just so I understand what's going on with your truck,
are you getting the death wobble or is the back just swaying left to right?
And another question, is the front of your truck higher in the front than the back?

The death wobble is usually caused by,
bad tires, bent rims, incorrect alignment, bad shocks, trucks ride geometry is out of specs.
I know you said you replaced the shocks, but you may have received a bad one or two.

I run 38 psi. in the front and 34 psi. in the rear.

Last edited: