Stock lug nut - chrome cap issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

During TRR when we changed a couple tires, my 21mm would not fit. Because out on the trail, we had no choice but to pound on the socket to change the tire. We even tried the stock lug wrench, same issue. When we got back to camp we notice it seemed like the 21mm socket wouldn't fit any of them. It was like the chrome cap swelled and we ended up tearing some up. I don't know if this was all the water/mud and heat or what.

Is this a common issue and has others seen this with theirs too?

5e8b368a6ff0651e80f44c04d9f0e751.jpg

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rick I've had similar issues as well. I've had to replace quite a few of them because of it. I notice that some of the dealers and shops use a socket that may be worn or a 13/16".

I think it causes the chrome cap to become a bit rounded and won't let the tight fit of a new 21mm socket to fit.

I had one tire shop ruin a set on a wheel I had them fix a tire on. I called them out on it the next day after I couldn't get my socket on it that night. The guy came out with a 21mm socket and said his wouldn't fit either. Well no shit. That what I just told him. Then I asked him how he got the wheel off the previous day. He didn't have an answer. Ass!

Carry a few extra with you incase some get messed up and you need to do a trail change. At least you'll be able to put a good one back on.

Yukon Joe

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Got a part number for these? SE beadlock wheels if it matters.

Or does Gorilla make some same size black ones that are better quality without a cap that work with these wheels?

Last edited by a moderator:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have replaced a few and at over 5 bucks a pop they are not cheep. I have resorted to a 22mm on ones that have been trashed. None of my local Paros stores carry a basic 14mm x 2.0 lug.

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDFTS ... Or does Gorilla make some same size black ones that are better quality without a cap that work with these wheels?
Yes! Gorilla just released large seat, OEM spec' lugs nuts (black | chrome) ......
  1. they're SOLID (and not capped). *BTW - The FoMoCo lug nuts have stainless steel caps NOT chrome.
  2. they're guaranteed for life.
  3. the part # is 61108CXLBC
GorillaLargeSeatLugNuts-61108CXLBC.jpg
DITCH! the FoMoCo POS capped lug nuts

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have also had to replace a bunch of the stock lugs. It is a two fold problem 1 is using an impact on them and even though they are stainless 2 the winter weather does not help. I ordered a complete set at $5.50 apiece so I have a few spares and only replace as needed. As for the part # I can't help you until I get home on Tuesday.

The new gorillas look cool I will have to order those since I am collecting OE beadlock wheels I have 3 as of now looking for at least 2 more maybe a set of 4.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I have also had to replace a bunch of the stock lugs. It is a two fold problem 1 is using an impact on them and even though they are stainless 2 the winter weather does not help. I ordered a complete set at $5.50 apiece so I have a few spares and only replace as needed. As for the part # I can't help you until I get home on Tuesday.

The new gorillas look cool I will have to order those since I am collecting OE beadlock wheels I have 3 as of now looking for at least 2 more maybe a set of 4.

I have 5.

Summit racing has open narrow acorn lugs m14-2.0 that's what I use. It has basically the same contact patch as the factory lugs.

Rick if you want some factory lugs. I have a ton. Probably 50-60

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes! Gorilla just released large seat, OEM spec' lugs nuts (black | chrome) ......
  1. they're SOLID (and not capped). *BTW - The FoMoCo lug nuts have stainless steel caps NOT chrome.
  2. they're guaranteed for life.
  3. the part # is 61108CXLBC
GorillaLargeSeatLugNuts-61108CXLBC.jpg
DITCH! the FoMoCo POS capped lug nuts

Nice to finally see a stock replacement option. I bought the 7/8" acorn lug which works fine, but now I have different lugs between the two trucks.

Said to call for pricing.
Any idea how much per lug?

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GOR61108CXLBC.htm

Yukon Joe

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukon Joe ... Any idea how much per lug?
Just checked ebay ..... $99.70 for a set of 24 (*free* shipping). *$4.15/lug nut.

EDIT: Just checked OEM lug nut price - $6.90 (retail) / $4.89 (or less wholesale).

Last edited: