Stock BFG tires in the snow...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Are not good lol...

aefc2800-f9ac-4787.jpg

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

f16YODA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get them going fast enough that you sling all the crap off. :ROFLJest:

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

I actually had a surprisingly panic free trip down to Anchorage on Wednesday. The last 150 miles of road were solid ice/snow packed about an inch thick. Never had any issue with traction. (knock on wood)

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
You need to get them going fast enough that you sling all the crap off. :ROFLJest:

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

I actually had a surprisingly panic free trip down to Anchorage on Wednesday. The last 150 miles of road were solid ice/snow packed about an inch thick. Never had any issue with traction. (knock on wood)

good snow tires are supposed to clear the slush and snow away from the tire, not let it pack up the treads lol.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

mine were awesome in the snow, yes just gun it a little more haha

oh they're great in a straight line in 4WD, but stopping and cornering i think 35" hockey pucks would do just as well.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Did yours pack up like that at speed???

no of course not that bad, but thy were pretty well packed at speed too from what i could see in my mirror. that was from going 10mph or so but that wouldn't happen to a snow tire.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Birdman...had the same thing on the snowblower the other day. Damn wet snow.

I've been in all sorts of combinations of snow, snow/ice, ice/snow, black ice, sleet, snow melting to water on road, rain freezing to road on impact, frozen rain in chunks on the road, mock rumble strips of ice and snow over entire road, etc. you name it. We just had 55" of snow in the last 5 days in the mountains, probably 30"+ in the valley.

I can certainly understand when people go on about how awesome the stock BFG's are...as they are fairly competent in many conditions. BUT...when the roads go to shit and things get really nasty, they do not satisfy me. Some softer rubber and I really think for me studs are a must. Coming north along the Hoback River last night. All snow covered and a bit slippery but things were good...then hit a few icy patches on the turns. When the penalty for lack of traction is rolling the truck repeatedly down an 80' dropoff into a frozen river...I'll pony up for a second set of winter dedicated tires.

Anyone using the GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs with Studs? I see they come in 315/70R17 (34.4 dia) or a little taller 315/75R16 thats .4" narrower (34.8 dia) and has a higher load rating. Think I may get some ordered. (Edit - scratch those 16's, can't do the downsize snow setup, 17's are the smallest with our brakes)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Birdman...had the same thing on the snowblower the other day. Damn wet snow.

I've been in all sorts of combinations of snow, snow/ice, ice/snow, black ice, sleet, snow melting to water on road, rain freezing to road on impact, frozen rain in chunks on the road, mock rumble strips of ice and snow over entire road, etc. you name it. We just had 55" of snow in the last 5 days in the mountains, probably 30"+ in the valley.

I can certainly understand when people go on about how awesome the stock BFG's are...as they are fairly competent in many conditions. BUT...when the roads go to shit and things get really nasty, they do not satisfy me. Some softer rubber and I really think for me studs are a must. Coming north along the Hoback River last night. All snow covered and a bit slippery but things were good...then hit a few icy patches on the turns. When the penalty for lack of traction is rolling the truck repeatedly down an 80' dropoff into a frozen river...I'll pony up for a second set of winter dedicated tires.

Anyone using the GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs with Studs? I see they come in 315/70R17 (34.4 dia) or a little taller 315/75R16 thats .4" narrower (34.8 dia) and has a higher load rating. Think I may get some ordered.

the Duratracs are rated very highly for snow traction. it's what I want to get.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't find many other options in the 35" range. A few other good snowflake type tires but I don't recall any others that were studdable. Somewhere I made a whole list of candidates. I'll try to dig it up off the old laptop (Santa was good to me) and put it up here...would be a good start of a snow tires options list (if there isn't already one??).

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't find many other options in the 35" range. A few other good snowflake type tires but I don't recall any others that were studdable. Somewhere I made a whole list of candidates. I'll try to dig it up off the old laptop (Santa was good to me) and put it up here...would be a good start of a snow tires options list (if there isn't already one??).

go ahead we don't have a dedicated snow tire thread.