Stock BFG tires in the snow...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Duratracs w/o studs and they are awesome. They handles excellent, stay clean and overall are great in the snow. I'd highly recommend them.

~BGM

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
In wet, slushy snow, the stock tires do pack up the treads.
However, we've had some stupid cold temperatures the last 2 weeks here, and many roads are ice/snow covered. I've found the colder it gets, the stickier the stock tires are on icy conditions.

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
BIRDMAN said:
good snow tires are supposed to clear the slush and snow away from the tire, not let it pack up the treads lol.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

oh they're great in a straight line in 4WD, but stopping and cornering i think 35" hockey pucks would do just as well.

Agreed! I have the same problems and mine are new (just replaced under warranty). I need 4WD to make it up a slight incline in my parking lot because the rears get instantly packed with snow the second I back outta my garage and function more like skis than tires.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
In wet, slushy snow, the stock tires do pack up the treads.
However, we've had some stupid cold temperatures the last 2 weeks here, and many roads are ice/snow covered. I've found the colder it gets, the stickier the stock tires are on icy conditions.

that's kind of counterintuitive because the tire rubber certainly does get harder and more useless the colder it gets - which is why snow tires are made of rubber soft enough to remain soft under freezing. but, i can see what you're saying because the cold, dry powdery snow clears right out of the way giving you better traction than the sloppy slick stuff.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After work last Friday, the highways and roads had were covered with four inches of icecream; they'd salted but not plowed and temps were in the mid teens. Headed to the quarter wash with the hot rinse to knock the ice off my Raptor. On Bullseye Lake Road somebody was gaining so I sped up to 45; it's a two lane roller coaster 30, with ravines.

Took a right in town and got a real nice double fishtail when I hopped on it. Glanced back and the F250 ( ? ) almost spun taking the corner, lol. My BFGs have 9,000 miles and had 46 psi when it was about 50 degrees.

Oh yeah, T/H engine braking is a good thing!

Last edited:

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the cold definitely helps...when you hear the tires squeeking on the snow. Keeps the treads clear. As for counterintuitive...not really. It is not about the softness of the rubber as much as it is about the stickiness of the snow. Think skiing/snowboarding in cold light powder vs heavy concrete-like warm days.

Where the soft rubber comes in is on true ice...like black ice. Not so much the compressed snow that has gotten a sheen on it...but skating rink kind of ice...where water on the road has then frozen. That is also precisely the kind of conditions where the studs earn their keep.

Glad to hear the DuraTracs are a winner, with or without studs. Note my earlier post I had listed a 16" size -- forgot we can't do that with our brakes.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17's or 18's seem good...
315/70R17 with 12.7" section and 34.4" dia
325/65R18 with 13.0" section and 34.8" dia

.... or I suppose could roll winter 20's. :peace:

275/65R20 with 11" section, 34.1" dia
or
325/60R20 with 13" section and 35.6" dia