Steering sticks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am just starting to notice that same issue on my truck. 18' with 45K. Its only occurring when I am at 50+ and wheel is in the 2 o'clock position. I thought it might be the 37's messing with the steering. Didn't even think about the steering being electric. It feels like a worn spot on a linear slide. Almost like its binding. I'm planning on crawling under this weekend to see if there is anything obvious.

The Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) gear/rack strategy uses multiple inputs to determine assist levels, vehicle direction, and steering input (driver/terrain). One of the main inputs is the Anti-Lock Brake Module (ABS). The ABS measures the speed of each wheel, vehicle Yaw, Roll, Lat/Long acceleration, etc and sends that data to the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM), which is mounted to the EPAS gear. If your tires have even a 1/2" difference in circumference (not uncommon with larger tires) it will cause various brake and steering related issues.

I'd recommend using a tailor's measuring tape to measure tire circumference. Also note that the larger tires will throw off the wheel speed readings, which can contribute to a multitude of brake and steering issues.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
I am just starting to notice that same issue on my truck. 18' with 45K. Its only occurring when I am at 50+ and wheel is in the 2 o'clock position. I thought it might be the 37's messing with the steering. Didn't even think about the steering being electric. It feels like a worn spot on a linear slide. Almost like its binding. I'm planning on crawling under this weekend to see if there is anything obvious.

That's it except mine is at 10 o'clock. Going to take it to the dealer next week. Please post if you find anything upon inspection. Thanks!