Stage 2 over heating while pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Attackpilot

Reaction score
So, I am pulling a 6x12 trailer. Ihave total weight including what’s in my truck/bed maybe 4500 lbs, not including what the truck weight is. today While pulling the temp got up to around 250 and truck chimed saying it was overheating and power would be limited. I have been driving from Dallas Texas to where I currently am at Shelby Montana. I have only had heating issues the last couple of gas fill ups. I am thinking maybe something to do with the tune and only being able to run 91 octane. I have flashed the 91 tune but have not driven truck with trailer yet. Anyone have ideas? I suspect this is the culprit but thought I would ask.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I am pulling a 6x12 trailer. Ihave total weight including what’s in my truck/bed maybe 4500 lbs, not including what the truck weight is. today While pulling the temp got up to around 250 and truck chimed saying it was overheating and power would be limited. I have been driving from Dallas Texas to where I currently am at Shelby Montana. I have only had heating issues the last couple of gas fill ups. I am thinking maybe something to do with the tune and only being able to run 91 octane. I have flashed the 91 tune but have not driven truck with trailer yet. Anyone have ideas? I suspect this is the culprit but thought I would ask.
What tune did you have on it? Did you flash the 91 tune when you switched gas to 91?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford's "tune" is designed to run and be reliable in all operating conditions. -50F to 120F, -300ft to 14,000ft, towing or not, good gas/bad gas. When you tune, you can get more power by effectively reducing the range of operating conditions. But now if you go outside those, you're going to have issues. Sounds like you need to run the stock tune until you lose the trailer.

Edit: typo

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What tune are you running? Most tuners make a very specific towing tune - if you are using a performance tune to tow that isn't tow specific, you are gonna **** **** up. You should flash back to stock to tow or get a specific tow tune.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Just like what was asked above, Do you have a front mount intercooler? I have been having this issue for about a year I think. But only when the temperatures are hot, installed front mount intercooler and if I push it really hard for a really long stretch it’ll do the same thing and I can watch the temperature climb. I just installed fullrace radiator, full coolant flush, & VP water water type product products And if he still does; it I just have to push it harder in the 120° heat. It doesn’t seem to matter from running the stock tune or stage two. Not sure what to do at this point besides not beat on it when it’s super hot, but I don’t use it for tow either so I could see that being a very big problem in my area. Good luck anyone else have any ideas?

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like what was asked above, Do you have a front mount intercooler? I have been having this issue for about a year I think. But only when the temperatures are hot, installed front mount intercooler and if I push it really hard for a really long stretch it’ll do the same thing and I can watch the temperature climb. I just installed fullrace radiator, full coolant flush, & VP water water type product products And if he still does; it I just have to push it harder in the 120° heat. It doesn’t seem to matter from running the stock tune or stage two. Not sure what to do at this point besides not beat on it when it’s super hot, but I don’t use it for tow either so I could see that being a very big problem in my area. Good luck anyone else have any ideas?
You can drop a lower T-stat in it. I have front mount intercooler and 170 T-stat. I came across east cali and AZ at temps around 125 degrees running 80mph and AC blasting and my coolant temps were 180-190 on uphills. Flats and were 170-180.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
You can drop a lower T-stat in it. I have front mount intercooler and 170 T-stat. I came across east cali and AZ at temps around 125 degrees running 80mph and AC blasting and my coolant temps were 180-190 on uphills. Flats and were 170-180.
What’s the part number for the T-Stat?

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you get your coolant temps? Forscan? I have towed a couple thousand miles on stock tune with a FMIC. I keep an eye on the air temps, engine oil temp, and tranny temp, but don’t ever recall seeing a read out for the coolant temp that gives you numerical values.

What’s the part number for the T-Stat?
I have a brand new SPD 170* tstat. I live in Montana, so I should have bought the 180 version instead. If you are interested, just pay shipping and it is yours. PM for details.