Stage 2 over heating while pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you get your coolant temps? Forscan? I have towed a couple thousand miles on stock tune with a FMIC. I keep an eye on the air temps, engine oil temp, and tranny temp, but don’t ever recall seeing a read out for the coolant temp that gives you numerical values.

I have a brand new SPD 170* tstat. I live in Montana, so I should have bought the 180 version instead. If you are interested, just pay shipping and it is yours. PM for details.
Yes you can add the numbers via Forscan. I also have an Ngauge where I can read it to.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
How do you get your coolant temps? Forscan? I have towed a couple thousand miles on stock tune with a FMIC. I keep an eye on the air temps, engine oil temp, and tranny temp, but don’t ever recall seeing a read out for the coolant temp that gives you numerical values.

Mine is a 17; when it gets to 227ish the number spear above the gage, on 18+ it has it there from the factory.
I have a brand new SPD 170* tstat. I live in Montana, so I should have bought the 180 version instead. If you are interested, just pay shipping and it is yours. PM for details.
I would love to have it if the thread starter passes.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like Gale Banks says the more you stack in front of the radiator the more velocity you need to keep everything happy. Especially Towing. IMO i think moving to a FMIC is detrimental in hot climates or mountain towing. Stock location IC are using wasted space with its own designated airflow . i would love to see comparison between a COBB FMIC and a cobb Stock location IC, i'm betting IC efficiency is only slightly better on FMIC. The FMIC is restricting more air that could be going to the radiator .

I would be towing on the stock tune at least and use lower gears in mountains and keep the boost from climbing . Garret and Cobb make nice stock location intercoolers.