GEN 2 Spd downpipes carb CA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asinine

Reaction score
Exactly. You would think that the only thing that actually should matter is what is coming out of the tailpipe. As in, no one should give a shit what is on your car so long as the exhaust is 'clean enough'. They have gone the complete opposite of that, making it WAY easier to cheat the system as there is no exhaust test just OBD, visual and that's it.
I’ve thought this for years, but it’s all about money and lobbying by corps to get mandated rules that people only use oem or carb certified parts.

The best evolution of the industry because of the CARB rules has how manufacturers have been able to make more power more cleanly and more efficiently than ever. Other than that, it’s just a racket for CA, smog mechanics, and parts suppliers.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who works for Weapon R, he said they would CARB certify a lot more parts, if the process wasn’t so difficult. Part of the problem is, the company has to bring a car with the part to the certification station. If I recall correctly, there is only 1, and it’s in Southern California.

So, if your company makes 6 different intakes, and 6 different tunes, you have to bring 6 cars. (If they are made to work together.) If you’re certifying individually, it’s 12 cars.

Most of these companies don’t even own the cars. They either have testing volunteers or use rentals to spec out the parts.

The cost to certify with the state is reasonable, but it’s all the administrative and logistical crap that hinders it, and makes it expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk