Spare lock key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spare lock key access in bumper is gone it was locked. I'm wondering if you pry that out take it and make a key with it, can someone then open your door without alarm going off and steal anything inside? Of course I keep nothing accept some tire chains inside.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess someone could do that, but I would think that anyone who is that capable with locks would instead simply pick or bump the lock, no key needed. I don't think any automotive style door locks are much of a challenge to anyone who is good at picking locks.

It's really shocking how poor damn near every lock sold actually is. Pad locks, door hardware, all of it. There's only a few decent padlocks on the market and truly secure door hardware/locks is ridiculously priced. Not much point in using quality locks though, since what they are secured to or installed in is usually easily destroyed by a single kick from a 200 lb man. Just make it more secure than your neighbor's stuff is the goal.