Someone hit my Raptor in a parking lot....of course left no note $4,000-5,000 is the estimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know what's interesting...

1. If you hit a vehicle and of course there is no lives lost... your insurance goes up slightly.
2. If you hit a vehicle and flee and you're caught, your license could be gone, no insurance company may never approve you ever again and you may be forced to pay for the other vehicle out of pocket.

So, if it happens, just call insurance, and take that $10/mo raise in insurance lol.

You don't necessarily have to handle it through insurance. If you're honest and upfront about it, and the person you hit is reasonable, then you might just be able to settle it without involving insurance. If the cost is less than the deductible or deductible + raise in rates, it's a win. It's a win for the owner of the vehicle hit too, if they want to pocket the money instead of paying someone to repair it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

1. If you hit a vehicle and of course there is no lives lost... your insurance goes up slightly.
2. If you hit a vehicle and flee and you're caught, your license could be gone, no insurance company may never approve you ever again and you may be forced to pay for the other vehicle out of pocket.

So, if it happens, just call insurance, and take that $10/mo raise in insurance lol.
Maybe the driver doesn’t have insurance and figures WTH? chance it and leave.

Or, maybe they have multiple at fault collisions, DUI, what have you and another incident costs them insurance. Whatever the reason...

You’re right though, it’s cheaper to just own up because if you’re caught trying to evade, you can catch some serious fines in some states.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score

EXACTLY!

Unfortunately, a lot of these insurance investigators/claims handlers are lazy!!! Had a semi-hit-and-run with me. Right when it happened, I jumped out and directed them to a parking lot so we could exchange information. He agreed, pulled into parking lot, then took off. I had license plate, make and model, and description of person. My insurance just wantonly gave up, saying there was no way to identify the person. :mad: I was able to figure out who was the registered owner of the vehicle, peruse Facebook for such person and visually ID them off a photo. I was livid. In the end, my insurance paid and never went after his insurance. So much for "investigators" with resources and database tools.

Few years later, I had another person hit my parked vehicle on a street and flee. Truck driver with a company out of state. License plate, pictures of the vehicle fleeing (courtesy of a witness), and a great description of the person. I called the company to verify the truck was theirs, and the owner admitted over the phone that it was one of their drivers (knew which person it was) in their company truck. I delivered all the info on a silver platter to my insurance, and for months they claimed they couldn't track down who hit my car. I escalated the situation and reamed out someone there, recounted the past experience as less than acceptable. Once again, my insurance just paid for it, and I don't know if they ever went after the other party.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't necessarily have to handle it through insurance. If you're honest and upfront about it, and the person you hit is reasonable, then you might just be able to settle it without involving insurance. If the cost is less than the deductible or deductible + raise in rates, it's a win. It's a win for the owner of the vehicle hit too, if they want to pocket the money instead of paying someone to repair it.

Sure..

but I'm going to let me insurance handle it, and take the 10+ month hit vs paying the apparent $5000 out of my pocket.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EXACTLY!

Unfortunately, a lot of these insurance investigators/claims handlers are lazy!!! Had a semi-hit-and-run with me. Right when it happened, I jumped out and directed them to a parking lot so we could exchange information. He agreed, pulled into parking lot, then took off. I had license plate, make and model, and description of person. My insurance just wantonly gave up, saying there was no way to identify the person. :mad: I was able to figure out who was the registered owner of the vehicle, peruse Facebook for such person and visually ID them off a photo. I was livid. In the end, my insurance paid and never went after his insurance. So much for "investigators" with resources and database tools.

Few years later, I had another person hit my parked vehicle on a street and flee. Truck driver with a company out of state. License plate, pictures of the vehicle fleeing (courtesy of a witness), and a great description of the person. I called the company to verify the truck was theirs, and the owner admitted over the phone that it was one of their drivers (knew which person it was) in their company truck. I delivered all the info on a silver platter to my insurance, and for months they claimed they couldn't track down who hit my car. I escalated the situation and reamed out someone there, recounted the past experience as less than acceptable. Once again, my insurance just paid for it, and I don't know if they ever went after the other party.

Ok remind me not to move to Colorado... must be all that weed ya'll smoking up there, wobbly driving lol. That is a ton of hit and runs.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ok remind me not to move to Colorado... must be all that weed ya'll smoking up there, wobbly driving lol. That is a ton of hit and runs.

I cannot imagine that happening, having spent decades in the DMV. In my experience, insurance companies scour the earth to find a way out of paying up, including sending investigators out, well into the boondocks to make sure they’re paying for something legit. I kind of get why...

In high school, and shortly after, I had this acquaintance who was, well, kind of a moocher. It would be fair to say I never met someone who was such a penny pinching, stingy, reticent to pay individual. He lacked responsibility as well. He also had a checkered driving history.

He had accumulated 1 or 2 speeding tickets and then got t-*****. TBF, a county cop ordered him by PA to clear the intersection from behind, which he dutifully did and got slammed. he was on mom’s insurance and was managing to pay it. he wore out his tires and rather than pay for new ones, he apparently filed a claim for stolen wheels. At that point he got cancelled; or rather mom got cancelled. Man... I don’t think I ever heard a woman scream that loud. It turns out he’d done the same thing after colliding with someone- filed a hit and run claim.

Her rates skyrocketed to the same level as a 16-25 y.o. male, which is to say a couple to few hundred dollars per month. Ouch. He wasn’t done. He rolled his 1 year old 4x4 off road. I don’t know how he managed to do this, but he got it upright and managed to get it drivable, then took it on road shortly after, and deliberately crashed it again. By this time, I was done being around him for a while, so my other mutual friends recounted this to me. I know he was not only underwater in that truck loan, he also financed the remaining due on the trade... I’m not sure how he extricated himself from that hole, or managed to stay out of the legal system.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sure..

but I'm going to let me insurance handle it, and take the 10+ month hit vs paying the apparent $5000 out of my pocket.

Because, assuming you aren't a teenager, your premium isn't going to go up much. But if you're 16 and the damage is around $1600, you might want to leave insurance out of it.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sure.. fair enough.

All I know, I leave plenty of space in front of me while I drive and I use my hazards a lot in the DMV to let ppl know to get the **** off my arse when I'm slowing down fast.

"knock on wood", no accidents , EVER. I am 35.

V_K

Reaction score
Man I am sorry that happened to you. I was deviated when my neighbor hit my rear end of my truck. I hope everything works out for you in the end.