Snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigperm

Reaction score
Hello. First snow my raptor will see. Going to mammoth next weekend.
Got a 2022 35 inch stock wheels. BF KO2
315/70/17 which I'm sure everyone has.

My wife is freaking out about snow chains, to my understanding raptor isn't supposed to fit chains?
Maybe buy some to keep on hand? Any recommendations or don't even bother?
Also reading the druatak tires way better than KO2.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just have to carry chains in CA—you will never use them. When road conditions are R1 and R2, they will wave you through when they see your tires are KO2 (but they might ask to see that you are carrying chains)—no chains needed. You only need the chains when conditions are R3 but if the conditions are R3 they will close the highway.

I got these chains for my same tires as you https://amzn.to/3FGVBx8 with these tensioners https://amzn.to/3uDn0tz They are traditional easy chains than any fool can put on. I tend to stay away chains/cables that have all sorts of color coded parts and sequences to put on and you don't have the instruction book with you then you won't ever figure out how to put them on—especially when you only use them once every 5 years. Mammoth is crazy right now—we might head up next week to get a session in before Xmas.

OP
OP
Bigperm

Bigperm

Reaction score
Dang thanks guys for the hella fast response! Just bought those.
GG on throwing wife in the bed. Ha.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have never been asked for chains when i lived in ca. when i had my subaru outback and the raptor, i was never required to put chains on. i used to laugh at the people driving up in the snow in a 2wd vehicle having to out chains on in a snow storm. and @figure1a is correct they 99% of the time will shut down the roads if the conditions are so bad, that a 4wd vehicle cant get through...

also, it states in the manual that chains are not to be used on these trucks

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was said above, if you need chains on these trucks you probably shouldn’t be out there or the roads will be closed anyway. You’d be surprised at the conditions you can get through in these trucks with proper driving skills.

I’ve also never been asked to verify I’m caring chains.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
As was said above, if you need chains on these trucks you probably shouldn’t be out there or the roads will be closed anyway. You’d be surprised at the conditions you can get through in these trucks with proper driving skills.

I’ve also never been asked to verify I’m caring chains.
This is spot on. The Raptor on stock BFG’s is pretty impressive.

OP
OP
Bigperm

Bigperm

Reaction score
Dang thanks alot! Showed the wifey and she feels better. I thought I be ok but when she asked I don't wanna hear I told you so lol.
Good looking.
Kinda stoked for mammoth next weekend.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it would super suck if they actually asked to see chains if you didn't have them. Especially since the chain up area is less then 1 mile from the Mammoth exit.