Snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna beat the dead horse, a Raptor on KO2's is incredibly capable in snow. I had no issues heading up and down to Tahoe last year in a crazy snow storm. 4A and slippery mode are also really helpful should conditions deteriorate.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna beat the dead horse, a Raptor on KO2's is incredibly capable in snow. I had no issues heading up and down to Tahoe last year in a crazy snow storm. 4A and slippery mode are also really helpful should conditions deteriorate.
Totally capable. But CA law says you have to carry them even if you are 4WD with snow tires. They rarely check but would be a major hassle if they did and turned you around. They do check when the highway closes down in Bishop and then reopens. I have never used chains on any 4WD truck but I always buy a set each time I buy a truck and then I have to sell them on eBay brand new when I buy the next truck—LOL.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally capable. But CA law says you have to carry them even if you are 4WD with snow tires. They rarely check but would be a major hassle if they did and turned you around. They do check when the highway closes down in Bishop and then reopens. I have never used chains on any 4WD truck but I always buy a set each time I buy a truck and then I have to sell them on eBay brand new when I buy the next truck—LOL.
Not arguing but what happens when the trucks manual states not to put chains on the truck? Kinda funny that the most capable truck on the road for those conditions wouldn’t be legal in Ca, but then again it’s Ca. Haha

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not arguing but what happens when the trucks manual states not to put chains on the truck? Kinda funny that the most capable truck on the road for those conditions wouldn’t be legal in Ca, but then again it’s Ca. Haha

There's basically no clearance for chains on the upper control arm with the stock wheels.. if you had some aftermarket wheels with more backspace you could run chains, so I'd assume that's why ford is releasing themselves from liability by putting it in the manual..

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If cally requires you carry them, get the most cheap ass set you can find and never get them out or anywhere near your KO2's. I live in snow country, learned to drive in this "chit" over 40 years ago and to date, NEVER run chains. First off the chances of major damage is just too great. A loose chain will beat your pretty Raptor to death before you can stop.

Last week I had the first "traction" issue with my girl. I was towing my son's clapped out dodge up our driveway that was solid ice. He is 16 and has "no clue". What ever he was doing to the POS made it pull really hard plus he had one almost flat. I actually think he had the rears locked up.....kids!

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I buy a set at AutoZone on the way up to mammoth and then return them when I didn't need them on the way home. If they ask they just need to see them but not actually on the truck. I used to just show them my NY drivers license and tell them to get the fug outta here with the chains.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve lived in CA my whole life and make several snow trips to Tahoe, Mammoth, and Bear every year. I’ve never used or carried chains except a couple times in my wife’s X5’s that have summer tires on them. I’ve mainly driven Subarus, Rubicons, and Raptors, and have been immediately waved by by the CHP at the chain checks without a second look. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I doubt I’ve been lucky that many times.

Unless you’re on a worn set of MTs, I couldn’t imagine you being hassled in a Raptor.

OP
OP
Bigperm

Bigperm

Reaction score
I was going to get some rims sooner than later.
I'll take some pics for sure. I actually got 3 fog light from SPV, so can't wait to try them out. Picking it up from ceramic coating atm.

Thanks again for all the info on the chains!!
20221212_105229.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter