Snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm heading up after work today and chain control is between running springs and big bear and the base of the 38.

I suspect in the morning or later tonight the will drop the 330 to the base of the mountain and add the 18 at waterman canyon again.

CARRY YOUR CHAINS or you will be turned around.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like conditions are much better now:

Highway 38 Redlands to Big Bear : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS
Highway 18 Lucerne Valley (High Desert) to Big Bear : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS
Highway 330 Highland to Running Springs : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS
Highway 18 Running Springs to Big Bear : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS

I very much agree about caring chains to be on the safe side. Things do change rather quickly out there.

OP
OP
S

ShadyRaptor

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'll be heading up there tomorrow noon time. I did buy chains just in case. It will be my first time driving the Raptor in the snow.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like conditions are much better now:

Highway 38 Redlands to Big Bear : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS
Highway 18 Lucerne Valley (High Desert) to Big Bear : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS
Highway 330 Highland to Running Springs : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS
Highway 18 Running Springs to Big Bear : OPEN WITH NO RESTRICTIONS

I very much agree about caring chains to be on the safe side. Things do change rather quickly out there.

Yea. Much. Was pretty icy this morning is what my neighbor up there said.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov

I'm heading up in about an hour. It's suppose to start snowing about 7 or 8 tonight so chain control will be in effect. around then.

Expecting 6-10inches which means 10-16 in reality.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's full R2 with chain control about 2000 feet on all roads going to AH/RS and BB.

FWIW, It's going to be dangerous until about 4pm today. It's been dumping all night long.

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand or where are you guys getting your chains? Do you think an aftermarket 0 offset wheel in the front would be able to clear chains without clearance issues or would you most likely need to be slightly lifted to make it work as well

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What brand or where are you guys getting your chains? Do you think an aftermarket 0 offset wheel in the front would be able to clear chains without clearance issues or would you most likely need to be slightly lifted to make it work as well
0 offset in the front clears chains. The problem is with the stock rim there is hardly any clearance between the tire and uca