GEN 1 Smoke Smell Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my 2 cents is your SOL. I’ve tried everything possible on a used car and cigarette smoke is there to stay. You might even think you got it out till one day it’s sitting in the sun and it’s right back. Now I just buy new.

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried the ozone machine thing in a building, not a vehicle. Seems like the overt smoke smell was mostly gone, but there was ANOTHER smell that was really hard to identify. My smeller is overly sensitive, I can smell an old banana peel a block away.....:33:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The guys from The Straight Pipes on YouTube had it done with success somehow.

I’d see if you can reach them and ask how they did it. I don’t think they mentioned removing the headliner.

I know Jakub from my car club and apparently he got the smoke smell out. Here is the video:

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue and used an ozone machine....
Did 3x 20 min treatments 1x a/c and seat coolers on full blast / recirculating and 2x heat on with seat coolers. Put the ozone machine on the floor in the back seat and plugged into truck power.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
For anyone else interested, the ozone machine you have in your house running 24/7 won't do it. You need one that puts out enough ozone that it's dangerous to be in the same room with. lol. We bought one a few years ago for under $100, works like a champ in our motorhome.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
White vinegar. Spray it everywhere, it will smell like hell (vinegar) for a week but I guarantee ALL smells will be absorbed/killed.

Jim W

Reaction score
Hey guys, previous owner smoked in my truck and the smoke smell isn't terrible but you can still smell it when the truck sits in the sun. Has anyone had good luck getting the smell out? i have had it detailed a few times but i think the main culprit is the head liner and from what i've heard they aren't easy to clean. How hard would it be to remove it and be able to clean it on a bench? Also, has anyone had good luck with any cleaning products to use on the carpets and headliner? There is a company in Seattle that charges 300+ to run some fogger machine that they claim will eliminate all odors or your money back. i'm a little skeptical if they don't clean the carpet and headliner first. I've had the ozone thing done during the details and never noticed a difference. I've also had some charcoal odor bags in there for about a year and still not much difference. I'm thinking the next step is doing some actual work and getting the headliner cleaned. Any tips or experience would be helpful.
Get a ozone machine and run it for an hour. They use them in houses that had a fire and also if your dog got with a skunk in your house. I got one for our beach house to take musty smell out works great