Slight Knocking sound at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stainless Works

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Also check for exhaust leak, especially if off-roaded, prob not the problem but worth it to look over. We have removed many oem exhaust components and a number of them show exhaust leaks from bouncing around and making contact with objects such as rocks, trees etc...

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the nature of synthetic oils. They stay thinned, so they bleed down quicker. I haven't noticed it in my truck, but no doubt, I will the next time I go out and start it.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 6.2's have hydraulic lifters. They are the link between the cam and valve. Until they fill with oil, there could be some movement or "lash" in the rocker arms which will cause a knocking or tapping at startup. Just a thought, not speaking from fact.

nger-followers-valves-and-hydraulic-lash-adjusters.jpg

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just some piston slap on cold start up. As soon the pistons warm up and seat into the liner and it goes away. Common on modern V8's.

Last edited:

Bill_C

Reaction score
I would agree with Got Exhaust. My soon to be gone 5.4 does the same thing in the morning. It sounds like lifter tap from the lifters bleeding down. This sound is nothing compared to starting up a 7.3 power stroke in the middle of winter with 20w50 oil in it. Mine used to sound like the engine was coming apart. Especially when it was below 0 and you turned the key and you could almost hear each individual cylinder start to fire. Talk about a racket.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is 3 weeks old, it does the same. I was worried but feel good now with this post

thanks all

Your in the 6.2L section, you'll need to go to the 3.5L section.
But all modern engines with light oil grades will have a little tapping at startup.