GEN 2 Shudder at Idle with AC on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would installing the tune Indicate that there is water in the intake? Not trying to argue but rather understand where you come from on this and get a better understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The tune is setup to use more gas, it opens the truck up more. If it's running worse it would suggest water. I would drain gas, change oil, and yeah...drill hole.... Absolute last resort move.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Why waste your time with all of that? The weep hole in the lower driver side of the intercooler will correct this. Very easy, simple and quick.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune is setup to use more gas, it opens the truck up more. If it's running worse it would suggest water. I would drain gas, change oil, and yeah...drill hole.... Absolute last resort move.

I would understand that train of thought with regard to water in fuel under load but don't see how that affects a ****** idle condition. One would think that he would be missing through the rpm range and from what I understand of his problem, is it's only present when at idle. I may have missed something along the way tho.

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more but that's hindsight now. I need to resolve the problem at hand. I returned the truck stock with no codes and the problem persisted.

Putting fresh plugs this morning!
Waiting on new PCM to be delivered Wednesday going to give that one last shot if it doesn't work with new PCM doesn't solve the issue she's gonna get traded in. I really don't think I'm going to drill the weep hole in my Full Race intercooler.....

I may also wait till 5 Star update my tunes before putting in new PCM

Is it obvious?

I’d bet 5Star hasn’t sold thousands of 2017 Rap tunes yet. Let’s look at this a little more critically. How many on FRF or similar internet fora are owning up to having one of their tunes ? single digits still? Maybe double digits, but very low. Accounting for the fact that a very small percentage of Rap owners put tunes on, and an even smaller percentage are active on the internet forums, and an even smaller subset are both modded and actively discussing on the internet, I’d guesstimate under 1,000. WELL, under. Full disclosure, I do not have a 5start tune and will go further that based on your description of the problem, assuming it to be honest, I don’t suspect 5star has caused your problems, but what changes they make; you indicated that the truck runs worse based on this.

But that wasn’t really the thrust of my point. I was quoting your post, in which you said the truck had this problem before the mods went on.

Here’s an analogy. You’re sitting on the tarmac piloting a wide body jet headed for the Olde Country, about 9 hours flight. You feel a shudder in the left engine, and it’s not showing the correct rpms.

should you :

1) abort take off, have engine inspected for potential failure

2) hey, i pre-flighted, we are GTFG, Punch that M*F*, we can make it across the pond, no problem even on one engine.

extreme and simplistic example, but the point is, you don’t know what you don’t know.

Look, it’s your truck, you want to drill holes in that *****, I say:

“Drill baby, Drill!”

$hit - PM me, I will send you a 3/8” bit. Go big, or go home.

Ok, seriously now. What evidence do you have that putting the tune on definitively proves that there’s water interfering with combustion? Not gut feeling, not supposition based on internet browbeating, what substantive PROOF do you have?

This is a problem to be solved, albeit, a potentially very expensive one. You’ve drawn a conclusion here, it seems, but the methods used to reach that conclusion -I think- should be looked at very strictly.

-my few pieces of eight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would understand that train of thought with regard to water in fuel under load but don't see how that affects a ****** idle condition. One would think that he would be missing through the rpm range and from what I understand of his problem, is it's only present when at idle. I may have missed something along the way tho.

^^^^^
THIS is what I am saying.

it’s not that it isn’t possible, or even likely, but from the fact set it’s a conclusion drawn without evidence.

That makes for a bad action plan.

robbcwz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a high humidity area; AC runs about 100% of the time; runs 87-oct; 4700 miles and the idle is fine. Run a lot of freeway miles, usually out of boost, and I have yet to see this issue

MadRaptor65

Reaction score
Injen Intake, Full Race intercooler and throttle body, boost gauge pick up

Man Dinoone you are going through hell with this issue.
Did you do the install of AM-parts or did you have it done?
I will share 2 Codes that popped up after CAI install.

P04db
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/15-3-5-ecoboost-throwing-code-mods-p04db-357457/

p0236
https://www.autocodes.com/p0236_ford.html

I took my truck back into Whipple and they had it fixed the next day. I don't know what they did, but I know that it had something to to with the CAI install. I haven't had any issues with idle with A/C on.

Good luck!

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped tank myself. No water at all. Broke a clip on filler neck so waiting on that from Ford. Replace PCV valve at the suggestion of a buddy. New PCM in hand waiting to find someone to flash with "As built" data.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dropped tank myself. No water at all. Broke a clip on filler neck so waiting on that from Ford. Replace PCV valve at the suggestion of a buddy. New PCM in hand waiting to find someone to flash with "As built" data.

What tank? Gas tank?