GEN 2 Shudder at Idle with AC on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustangmatt95

Reaction score
Here's what the service advisor said on mine:

Here are my tech's notes:
1) CUSTOMER CONCERN: RATTLE FROM ENGINE AREA ON COLD START
TECH FINDINGS: RATTLE FROM ENGINE AREA ON COLD START VERIFIED CONCERN NORMAL TURBO WASTE GATE ACTUATORS
2) CUSTOMER CONCERN: ENGINE IDLES ROUGH ONLY WHEN A/C IS ON. NO ENGINE LIGHTS APPEAR
TECH FINDINGS: ENGINE IDLES ROUGH ONLY WHEN A/C IS ON. NO ENGINE LIGHTS APPEAR TEST DROVE NOTHING ABNORMAL CHECK TSB SSM NONE CHECK FOR CODES W/IDS PASS NO PENDING CODES COMPARE TO LIKE VEHICLE-SAME
We actually had a new Raptor yesterday for a rustproof pkg and he compared both...

Elite_KG

Reaction score
Mine shutters a little with the AC on only just after a cold start and stopping at a redlight or similar; complete stop. I dont notice it when I try to get it to repeat on the same drive. It just shutters once then stops.

I ran the **** out if it afterwards just to see if it affected any performance (water theory).

I am not concerned with this issue/observation. I dont even notice it every drive with AC on. I generally doubt it is an issue worthy of concern, but if I am wrong I will find out.

mustangmatt95

Reaction score
Mine shutters a little with the AC on only just after a cold start and stopping at a redlight or similar; complete stop. I dont notice it when I try to get it to repeat on the same drive. It just shutters once then stops.

I ran the **** out if it afterwards just to see if it affected any performance (water theory).

I am not concerned with this issue/observation. I dont even notice it every drive with AC on. I generally doubt it is an issue worthy of concern, but if I am wrong I will find out.

I couldn't have said this better myself. Doesn't happen all the time. Most noticeable on a complete stop or after cold start. I've started noticing it a lot when I cold start and go to back out of my driveway. The truck almost starts chugging until I touch the throttle.

No perfomance loss, no check engine light. Dealer admitted to experiencing it and claims its normal as if this time. If this problem gets enough attention in sure ford will come up with a fix.

OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't give a shit what anyone says a new truck shouldn't do this. My truck is getting progressively worst. Its to the point where its shaking the entire truck and my wife noticed.....

Here's what the service advisor said on mine:

Here are my tech's notes:
1) CUSTOMER CONCERN: RATTLE FROM ENGINE AREA ON COLD START
TECH FINDINGS: RATTLE FROM ENGINE AREA ON COLD START VERIFIED CONCERN NORMAL TURBO WASTE GATE ACTUATORS
2) CUSTOMER CONCERN: ENGINE IDLES ROUGH ONLY WHEN A/C IS ON. NO ENGINE LIGHTS APPEAR
TECH FINDINGS: ENGINE IDLES ROUGH ONLY WHEN A/C IS ON. NO ENGINE LIGHTS APPEAR TEST DROVE NOTHING ABNORMAL CHECK TSB SSM NONE CHECK FOR CODES W/IDS PASS NO PENDING CODES COMPARE TO LIKE VEHICLE-SAME
We actually had a new Raptor yesterday for a rustproof pkg and he compared both...

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't give a shit what anyone says a new truck shouldn't do this. My truck is getting progressively worst. Its to the point where its shaking the entire truck and my wife noticed.....

Sounds as if yours is different than what others experience. Hope it gets worked out some how.

mustangmatt95

Reaction score

On one instance mine was shaking so bad I though for sure it would set a misfire code. Happened when stopping at a red light.

Ironically, mine hasn't really done it much since I got it from the dealer.

I'm going to tell myself it's a performance vehicle and some quirks are normal. After all, they are squeezing 450hp/510tq out of a 3.5L V6. I tell my Corvette customers the car will idle rough at times. Nature of the beast.

If this progresses further on my end, I will update here for sure.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
On one instance mine was shaking so bad I though for sure it would set a misfire code. Happened when stopping at a red light.

Ironically, mine hasn't really done it much since I got it from the dealer.

I'm going to tell myself it's a performance vehicle and some quirks are normal. After all, they are squeezing 450hp/510tq out of a 3.5L V6. I tell my Corvette customers the car will idle rough at times. Nature of the beast.

If this progresses further on my end, I will update here for sure.

Ah, no. You are experiencing the ecoboost life.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is just like Elite_KG's. A little shudder at startup when the AC is on and then it goes away. I just came out of a 2012 FX4 Ecoboost, so I may just be used to it, but I can tell you for a fact my Gen2 is nothing like the constant rough idle my '12 Ecoboost had (that truck and engine worked great for me BTW. 5 years, zero problems with the power train).

Seems like a 5Star tune fixed it for Wizo, anyone with an aftermarket CAC noticing any impact?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dinoone

dinoone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds as if yours is different than what others experience. Hope it gets worked out some how.

I don't think so. I honestly think it's going to become a staple with these trucks as people get more and more mileage on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro