Should I upgrade to 3.0 or just rebuild??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up question to this dusty old thread....

I currently have 2.5 on Mid Perch with Geiser Bro Springs

Making the swap to ICON or 3.0 will I loose any of my ride height? Currently running 37s.

You shouldn't, ICON/Fox/King 3.0's all use threaded preload and you can adjust to your liking, the tradeoff being stiffness but I doubt it would be stiffer than your Geisers at mid...travel being the same the only thing that's changing is the shock and spring diameter so potentially you could have a slightly softer ride at the same ride height (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Icon_Adrian

Reaction score
You shouldn't, ICON/Fox/King 3.0's all use threaded preload and you can adjust to your liking, the tradeoff being stiffness but I doubt it would be stiffer than your Geisers at mid...travel being the same the only thing that's changing is the shock and spring diameter so potentially you could have a slightly softer ride at the same ride height (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
You are correct my friend. Ride height over stock is the largest contributor to ride quality. If you are matching the ride height form one kit to another you shouldn't see/feel a significant change in ride quality.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wrasslin this question as well...in the end I’ve decided to ship my factory shocks back to Fox for a rebuild. I may have them set to mid perch at the same time.

In the future ( next year ) when cash flow is better, I’m going in on the SVC mid travel kit plus rear Deaver springs and 3.0 King shocks.

After looking over all the swap threads and talking to three tech guys on the phone it’s pretty clear that the Gen2 into Gen1 swap is a fools errand. Looks good until you start adding up all the lost wheel travel at the top ( bottoming our quicker ) and having the UCA binding on the spring at not even full droop. There’s something to be said for using the right parts for the job and not trying to hillbilly rig things together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc