Shorter Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1Wolf

1Wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations on some shorter antennas to look into. I'm not much into the stubbies. A couple shorter antenna that were recommended here looked pretty decent. I'm happy with the stock one its just too damn long.

Thanks HUFN8OR for the instructions on cutting down my current antenna. Doesn't sound too bad to do. Maybe I'll give that a short. Previously I was afraid of wrecking it and I don't really know anything about the 5/8 wavelength stuff people keep saying so I was afraid of cutting it to the wrong length. Is 22 3/4" the right length for the 5/8 wavelength stuff? Or is it just that 22 3/4" is the right length for most garages and such?

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The antenna lengths are not an exact science in the real world, slight long or shorter is going to have an min impact since the overall design has to factor in wire thickness, length, etc. it will be fine, you won't notice the performance difference.

Reaction score
50 Cal Bullet Antenna

Stubby 50 cal Antenna, works just as good or better then the factory!! No reception issues at all.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 129

HUFN8OR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations on some shorter antennas to look into. I'm not much into the stubbies. A couple shorter antenna that were recommended here looked pretty decent. I'm happy with the stock one its just too damn long.

Thanks HUFN8OR for the instructions on cutting down my current antenna. Doesn't sound too bad to do. Maybe I'll give that a short. Previously I was afraid of wrecking it and I don't really know anything about the 5/8 wavelength stuff people keep saying so I was afraid of cutting it to the wrong length. Is 22 3/4" the right length for the 5/8 wavelength stuff? Or is it just that 22 3/4" is the right length for most garages and such?

I bought a spare OEM antenna just in case there were reception issues when I cut mine down, but there are absolutely no reception issues that I have experienced thus far with the slightly shorter antenna.

Perhaps if you were in a very rural or mountainous area, the wavelength calculations would actually be critical, but I don't have either of those issues to deal with. My concern was getting it to stop whacking every parking garage I went into and also giving me a precise gauge of the roof/sunroof so as not to damage it by entering a garage too short.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For you guys who put stubby's on have any of you noticed about 2 minutes after starting the volume gets slightly lower and a little monotone for a brief period. I swear my truck is doing this (on FM... need to try on XM). Curious if it's downloading something form my phone causing this or what?

mahabali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For you guys who put stubby's on have any of you noticed about 2 minutes after starting the volume gets slightly lower and a little monotone for a brief period. I swear my truck is doing this (on FM... need to try on XM). Curious if it's downloading something form my phone causing this or what?

Haven't noticed that but only installed 2 days ago. Will keep an ear out for it and report back. I really haven't noticed a loss of reception either, but I am in the city.