Shock Replacement Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a long term planner, and as my 2017 is about to hit 40,000 miles I am already thinking about what I’m going to do with my shocks at the big 50k rebuild/replace milestone. My truck is strictly a pavement princess, so no need for me to upgrade past the capabilities of the OEM shocks. That being said, I want to make sure I’m exploring all the available options.

Low mileage 2017-2018 takeoffs are basically nonexistent at this point. 2019-2020 live valves are out there, but then there’s the cost of the live valve delete kit and installation. I’m not sure I trust a rebuild, the reviews I’ve seen for the places with shock swap programs seem very hit or miss.

What is the best place to buy a set of new OEM 2017-2018 shocks and what is a full set running these days? Is there anything in between the OEM shocks and a $6k+ Fox / King setup? Am I missing any other options here?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My plan is to just bite the bullet and buy new OEM (blue) Fox Shocks. I dont remember exactly, but I think your all in price is around $2500 before labor.

The rears can be done by yourself. Front are a little more involved dealing with a spring compressor.

I am sitting at 35,*** miles and for the most part have a pavement princess as well. I expect the shocks may last to 60k

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are way more gen 2's built up then gen 1's, there should be a market for take offs being sold. Lots of raptor owners in FLorida so shouldn't be too hard to get them, otherwise like @goblues38 said, just buy them new online. Just keep looking on the for sale part of forums.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are way more gen 2's built up then gen 1's, there should be a market for take offs being sold.

Not for 2017-18 shocks anymore. The 19-20 use different shocks that require a kit to use with 17/18. The kit is a pain and rebuilds are also a pain as they aren't that much cheaper and it sucks waiting for shipping, rebuild, etc.

OP I'd buy new ones they are about $400 each at Tascaparts and you can sell your old ones prob for $100 each too. Do you feel a decrease in ride quality? For zero offroading I don't know if it's really worth replacing them yet.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not for 2017-18 shocks anymore. The 19-20 use different shocks that require a kit to use with 17/18. The kit is a pain and rebuilds are also a pain as they aren't that much cheaper and it sucks waiting for shipping, rebuild, etc.

OP I'd buy new ones they are about $400 each at Tascaparts and you can sell your old ones prob for $100 each too. Do you feel a decrease in ride quality? For zero offroading I don't know if it's really worth replacing them yet.
Gotcha, yeah sounds like new is the only way until owners start selling the take offs.

Chazzersgarage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about this also. I'm at 37K on my 18. I had been planning on using stock shocks and a set of Eibach's. Right now I'm considering new shocks with the SVC CAS setup. It seems like it might be the best compromise between stock and the after market upgrades.