Shock Replacement Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2004 X3 ( manual trans) with 148k miles and original shocks , they are as good as new. I have probably owned over 20 cars and only HAD TO replace shocks on one, and I bought that used.

I never HAD TO replace shocks. They never actually failed. They just stopped doing their job very well. Replacing them made a world of difference in handling. If I didn't care about that, I probably would never have replaced shocks, ever.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never HAD TO replace shocks. They never actually failed. They just stopped doing their job very well. Replacing them made a world of difference in handling. If I didn't care about that, I probably would never have replaced shocks, ever.
Ok. I never HAD TO replace them because of deteriorated ride quality

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had leaking rebuilds a couple times. If I’m in the position again I’d just find some new ones to buy from tasca or rock auto and resell the old ones.

I did the shock exchange also, and what I got were way worse condition wise than what I sent

OP
OP
titanjc

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had leaking rebuilds a couple times. If I’m in the position again I’d just find some new ones to buy from tasca or rock auto and resell the old ones.

I did the shock exchange also, and what I got were way worse condition wise than what I sent

This is exactly what concerns me about the rebuild / exchange programs. Do you mind telling which company you used for the shock swap? The main reason I'm considering buying brand new like you're describing is that I don't want to get a set of shocks that's been beat to hell and back that are going to leak after 10,000 miles.

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was forged and their predecessor company. Two sets, road use only, both with a front shock leaking in 10k miles.

can’t speak to the Texas rebuild company, but again you are likely out only 500-1000 more for brand new. I was dumb to pinch pennies on that, wasn’t worth the hassle and I likely ended up spending more in long run

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat - I just bought the truck w 50k miles and don’t notice anything wrong with the shocks but have also never replaced a set of shocks on something so new..... ever. I like the idea of having OEM backups from rock or tasca for when I do need / want new shocks but I’d rather spend the money on deavers and eibachs and call it a day. That would at least keep the backend sag free for my camping trips and improve the soft front end per my research on this topic

Mystic_2003

Reaction score
The OEM 17/18 Shocks can be had new for $1.700 if you shop around. I have a set on order. The front's are available, the rears are on National Backorder from Ford, No ETA.
I considered rebuilt but at $800, and the cost of putting on the coilovers(Labor), would rather not take the chance with a bad rebuild, and having to swap.
I also looked at 19/20 take off's, ~$1,000 + Rebuild $800, then doing something like E-Clik at $2,100 = $3,900
Would seem the step up from that is Fax Factory 3.0's at $6k
I simply cannot bring myself to shell out that kind of coin for Shocks.
I have a Rzr for Off Road, no issues trashing that, so the Raptor sees little off road

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM 17/18 Shocks can be had new for $1.700 if you shop around. I have a set on order. The front's are available, the rears are on National Backorder from Ford, No ETA.
I considered rebuilt but at $800, and the cost of putting on the coilovers(Labor), would rather not take the chance with a bad rebuild, and having to swap.
I also looked at 19/20 take off's, ~$1,000 + Rebuild $800, then doing something like E-Clik at $2,100 = $3,900
Would seem the step up from that is Fax Factory 3.0's at $6k
I simply cannot bring myself to shell out that kind of coin for Shocks.
I have a Rzr for Off Road, no issues trashing that, so the Raptor sees little off road
Where did you find the 2019/20 take offs ?

That E-Clik looks interesting.