SCT X4 w/ 5-Star Tunes - One Week Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BAJASVT

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ZBoater - Like you fear and like Chris has stated, the shifting strategy of the performance tune makes up a large portion of the performance gains from the tune. I may even argue that the transmission alterations contribute to the largest performance gains and definitely the largest contributor to seat of the pants feel.

After driving my own truck and a friends, both with 5-Star performance tunes, my suggestion would be to skip the transmission part of the tune if you frequently drive right at the 40 and/or 50 mph speed because your transmission will be shifting back and forth. Like Chris said, this isn't necessarily bad and it's just the tune trying to keep the engine at the optimal RPM for maximum power; in my case it was shifting back and forth approximately every 30-60 seconds and it was just too much for me. Also, as suggested, you can lock out the higher gears to prevent the gear searching... the negative to doing this is that the transmission will stay in the lower gear, so the engine RPMs will be higher and fuel economy will suffer. I did try this option and in my case, cruising along at 40mph in 4th gear (5th and 6th locked out), the exhaust note just sounded like it wanted to shift. I do cruise at 40mph for ~5 miles each way during my daily work commute and in my opinion, crusising in 4th for that distance/time, the exhaust note was just screaming "please let me shift into 5th gear."

Good luck.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback. I really need to do some thinking because I'm quite happy with my Raptor. Last thing I want to do is mess with that. I've read so many positive things about tuning that I want to try it. It's a good thing I'm chin deep in the middle of a speaker upgrade and spent this month's mod allowance. Need to wait until next month. Gives me some time to think about this and learn some more.

allbizns

Reaction score
I just finished a 1,200 mile trip with my new X4 and the 5 star tunes. I could not be happier thanks Mike and Scott!!!!
I noticed the shift strategy you were talking about at first but the area I live in i do not have the hunting issue you have once I pull in my neighborhood it will occasionally hunt but I can adjust my way of driving and pretty much remedy the issue. I guess my only concern would be the long term effects on trans longevity. But it seems like alot of people are running Mikes tunes for some time now with no adverse effects.

I installed the tune and a new Roush exhaust at the same time after reading all the post here I chose to leave the stock resonator in place for right now and I am very happy with the results. This truck now sound and performs the way it should have left the factory.

We took the truck to visit family back home in NJ so it was a 600mi trip home and 600mi back to NC.
On the way home I ran the 87 perf tune the truck ran great the wife hardly noticed the exhaust but my two young boys picked up on it right away and both loved the sound. They thought it now sounded like a monster truck. I averaged 16-16.5 mpg with the perf tune running 75-80 mph. Until then the best I could ever get out of the truck was 14-14.5. completely stock.

On the way home I decided to load the 87 Econ tune and running the same 75-80 mph I averaged 16.5-17.5 mpg both ways I ran with cruise on 50% of the time the other time was spent trying to get around annoying drivers.

In all I was very impressed with the improvements made by the tuner I will say the difference between the Perf and Econ tune was noticeable mainly in the shift strategy. The Econ tune shifted a lot like stock. I can live with that if I can consistently net 16-18mpg on long trips the truck makes plenty of power to sill get the job done. But around town the truck is much better to drive with the Perf tune I especially love the down shifts with the new exhaust. The only question I have is there a limit to how many times you can change your tunes? I know you shouldn't do it every 30 miles. But over time will you notice ill effects from rewriting the ECM over and over.

As far as the X4 goes vs the X3 I find the X4 to load tunes much faster than the X3. It is a good bit smaller not much bigger than a cell phone. I also like the fact that you can set up a gauge screen and watch alot of the trucks vitals in real time wile you are driving. I have not used the WiFi yet but that is not a big seller for me it is not that hard to plug the cable in to the computer to get updates. I would recommend the X4 for the little extra cost especially if you are a gadget nerd like myself but don't like the extra cost of the live wire

Sorry BajaSVT I didn't meat to hijack your thread I just wanted to give everyone my experience to what you were seeing.

TAZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No vehicle this day in age should hunt for shifts. Shift algorithms are based off several factors including calculated torque values. When you modify a timing table or fuel table you change the calculated torque values at that RPM range which will usually cause this type of issue. As far as line pressure goes, I need to look at what solenoid pack Ford is using. IF they are PPC solenoids then line pressure will have an effect on all pressures to the clutches. If Ford is looking at clutch pull down rates then the transmission calibration will adjust on it's own based off applied torque.

There should be no reason for this issue with the calibration values available in the ECM/TCM.

OP
OP
BAJASVT

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed the shift strategy you were talking about at first but the area I live in i do not have the hunting issue you have once I pull in my neighborhood it will occasionally hunt but I can adjust my way of driving and pretty much remedy the issue. I guess my only concern would be the long term effects on trans longevity.

Sorry BajaSVT I didn't meat to hijack your thread I just wanted to give everyone my experience to what you were seeing.

No problem... this info is welcomed and not a "hijack." I totally understand that my typical driving routine amplifies the issue, but I don't think this is something that I should have to adjust my driving like you have mentioned. The increased power from the performance tune is impressive, so as of yesterday I've gone back to it to try it out again, but now I find myself staring at my speedometer too much in an effort to avoid cruising in the problematic shifting speeds.

Since posting this thread, I've counted nearly a dozen people acknowledging that my complaint is a legitimate issue; a few have resorted to factory shifting strategy, a few have opted to shift manually or lockout the higher gears to prevent searching, a few just don't care, and a few have gone with a different company as the source for their custom tunes.

I don't want to say anything bad about 5-Star for several reasons:
1) They've been extremely responsive in getting back to me via email.
2) There are a lot of happy customers with 5-Star tunes, so obviously my issue doesn't pertain to everyone.
3) They're a supporting vendor and what's good for them is good for us as members.

Regardless, I'm not sure if 5-Star doesn't have the ability to address my issue or if they just don't want to, but the fact remains that they've essentially left me with the option of either running the full performance tune, performance tune with factory shifting, or tow tune for daily driving. In my opinion, that's just not truly "custom" tuning. I've spoke with a company that I've previously purchased tunes/tuners from in the past and also two companies that have been pm'd to me by fellow FRF members who run their tunes. I explained my shifting concerns to these companies and they've all assured me that the issue could be addressed. I have no proof that they can actually deliver on their promises, but that's what they're telling me. The problem is that the new tunes are going to run me a little over $300 and that's a little hard to swallow right now after my initial investment of over $400 on the tuner and my first set of custom tunes.

TAZMAN - Let us know what you find.

EDIT: Update! What I said above was wrong. See post #54... 5-Star hooked me up.

Last edited:

allbizns

Reaction score
I have found that the more I drive the truck with the Perf tune it begins to adapt to my driving and holds the higher gears much better. What I like is it tries to keep the truck in a good power band and doesn't lug the engine down around town like the stock shifting does. I am also averaging 1-2 MPG better even around town. I have had the Perf tune back in for around 450 miles mostly local with some interstate driving and am calculating MPG between 15-16 when it was stock I never saw any better than 13-14.

OP
OP
BAJASVT

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chris - No, I haven't talked to Mike on the phone... only email. I feel we're communicating clearly via email, but I did email him this video this evening and asked him to call me if he thinks a phone conversation would be beneficial.

Here's a 25 second video I made on my ride to work on Friday; you can see that the truck shifts 5 times (4-5-4-5-4-5) in only 17 seconds at a 40 mph cruise. I just can't believe this is normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNOQCE19WI

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does not look normal....I run the same tune as you and have NOT noticed what you show in your video UNLESS I am on a graded surface...if you are on a flat stretch this does not appear common... Unless your truck is under some type of load....

Have you tied reloaded the tune or try a different tune? Obviously if you use the 93 tune it will be ok to go down to 89 but not vice versa...

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At times mine does that. It seems 40mph at the right conditions it seems to not know what gear to be in. Not often but it does happen

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk