Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carwasherlito

Reaction score
I bought a used 2017 Raptor about a month ago. Today I dropped it off for a spray in bedliner. They called me shortly after I dropped it off to ask about all of the rust on my frame. When you get a bedliner sprayed in they take out the bed bolts so they are not sealed in, in case you need to remove them later. My bed bolts are so rusty that hey cannot be removed. I ended up not getting a bedliner today.
Why would there be so much rust in a 1 year old truck? I'm trying to read Fords warranty policy but it seems to only address rust in body panels and not the frame.
I live in Pennsylvania, which uses salt in the winter. I get rust in all my truck frames eventually, but never after 1 year.
Anyone else dealing with this?

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford designed your truck parts to rust. If you don't believe me, ask anyone on this forum or the f150 forum.

I bought a 16 lariart with 25 miles on it. Sticker was 60k. When I got it home, they entire truck was rusted underneath including frame, fasteners, driveline, and exhaust. The tcase and tranny where corroded. I was lucky and they took the truck back. I went to the dealer and noticed most trucks on the lot looked just like mine.

My 18 raptor only had rust on the cv axles and a little on the diff. They don't paint parts anymore. My 08 lexus gx has 150k miles and no rust since all parts are coated including axles and propellor shaft. It makes it easy to service and the rusted parts don't drip rust on my driveway and garage.

Ford engineers said the cut out in the front bumper was designed thay way so you can see the fox shocks. Guess they forgot you can also see the rusted axles.

katchup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my new 18 raptor from WI. I’m in OR. I noticed in pics rust on the transfer case, axles and driveline. Had them sand and appply a coating to the underside. So yes, normal.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought my new 18 raptor from WI. I’m in OR. I noticed in pics rust on the transfer case, axles and driveline. Had them sand and appply a coating to the underside. So yes, normal.
What kind of coating? A clear coat of some sort?
A undercoat of some kind?
Just interested what you had done and how it's holding up.

mamula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 2017 Raptor about a month ago. Today I dropped it off for a spray in bedliner. They called me shortly after I dropped it off to ask about all of the rust on my frame. When you get a bedliner sprayed in they take out the bed bolts so they are not sealed in, in case you need to remove them later. My bed bolts are so rusty that hey cannot be removed. I ended up not getting a bedliner today.
Why would there be so much rust in a 1 year old truck? I'm trying to read Fords warranty policy but it seems to only address rust in body panels and not the frame.
I live in Pennsylvania, which uses salt in the winter. I get rust in all my truck frames eventually, but never after 1 year.
Anyone else dealing with this?
Dayum return it back. U saved like $5K - $8K for used 2017. Hell no. Should have bought brand new 2018