Running rough and white smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOORE1

Reaction score
I have a 2013 6.2 with a stage 1 roush supercharger kit and stainless works cat back. About 57,000 miles on it. Well yesterday I got on it to go around a slower vehicle in traffic, it wouldn't pull near what it should have, I immediately felt it running rough looked in the rear view and little gray/white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Check engine light came on and was flashing as well. I had it towed to a dealer, they are suppose to tell me something today. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a turbo charged motor the same thing happened to and I had lost a piston. The side of it melted away . I was running too much boost so I can't imagine how that happened with the modest boost pressure they run in the roush kit.

I will be interested to see what it is and what happened . Good luck . Tim

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Joe is right. Blue smoke means you're burning oil. White smoke means that coolant is making its way from the cooling system to one or more of the combustion chambers. Chances are very good that you've blown a head gasket.

OP
OP
MOORE1

MOORE1

Reaction score
Just got the call, it has no compression in one cylinder and they believe it has hole in the piston. I'm sure there is more damage, they are calling for a full new motor but if they aren't going to warranty it I'll just rebuild myself. Thanks for the input guys. However, just so you guys know I did check all fluids after the issue stated before I got it to the dealer and all of them were exactly where they needed to be. And yes lots of miles, I have a construction company and I'm all over the state of Texas. I also thought it was very strange to have this issue on a day when it was 90°(cooler than it has been in Texas) with such low boost as the kit has. I would have expected this a few weeks ago when we started having 60° mornings.

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hole in the piston is almost certainly from running lean. I couldn't picture outside temp or fluids causing tbhis. I would guess maybe some mechanical issue related to fuel, maybe a bad injector ? I bet when you see that piston you will find the side of piston melted away.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who installed the Roush blower? If this was an installation that Ford had something to do with, you might get a warranty engine. If not, I strongly doubt it.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
MOORE1

MOORE1

Reaction score
The dealership installed it. They told me when I bought it that I would have to bring it to them for any warranty work so I banking on them covering it. At the moment they are giving me the run around but at time of purchase they never disclosed anything about a warranty void and I have the paper saying it has full warranty. Shouldn't be a big deal but you never know.