Rumor: The Ford F-150 Raptor Is Getting the Mustang GT500's Supercharged V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macca

Reaction score
I own a 2017 Raptor with a Roush tweek and LOVE it. I listen to most fellas including yourselves and cant believe that at this age the V8 still has a huge fan base.Sure, with plenty of power and noise,the testosterone pumps also.
You know here Ford Aus. created the turbo 6 and actually had upwards of 420hp from the 4lit straight 6.The motor is called the Barra and been around for 20 or so years.It was an Aust designed and built motor and now that Ford Aus have ceased production here, this Barra motor is a highly sought after replacement though only in Aus and NZ.
The point i make is that because it didnt have the V8 rumble,it was a slow seller.It had power to weight and was under 5 secs production.There were never any pretences when up against a V8..always quicker away.
This Raptor has a better reference as there is no equal here.In Aust our rego fees go on engine configuration in that V8s are dearer than 6 s and 4 s are the cheaper.
I run my Raptor on 91 Ron fuel, the lowest with 95 and 98 being higher.I will give it a gift of 98 every so often.
I am lead to believe that Supercharging
requires 98ron fuel,that is expensive shit here.
I reckon you guys should embrace the 6 cylinder technology and go with Ford brilliance.I BURN the V8,s here.

northerner77

Reaction score
After a few days of considering the GT500 motor in the Raptor, I have come to the conclusion that it’s too much for an everyday driver.

If I owned the GT500 it would be in the garage the majority of the time, taken out for joy and show off in good weather.

A Raptor weighs 50% more than the GT500. I expect the GT500 to get 14-17MPG... what could we expect from the Raptor... 10-13MPG?

No thanks on that... I would be interested in a naturally aspirated 5.2 Raptor (~500-550HP) though that got the same MPG of the 3.5.

This is exactly where I am at with this...couldn't have typed it better myself.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I listen to most fellas including yourselves and cant believe that at this age the V8 still has a huge fan base.Sure, with plenty of power and noise,the testosterone pumps also.

V8s have other advantages. One major advantage being they are much smoother than I4, I6, or V6 engines. Not as good as a V12, but still noticeably less "thrashy" sounding and feeling than any 4s or 6s. Every heard of a balance shaft in a V8?

For some strange reason, RR and Bentley put those dated testosterone pump V12s in their luxury vehicles instead of boosted to the moon V6s....

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing it'll be an option & we'll see $8x,***+ sticker prices. Why would they cut the EB out entirely when they sell just fine? Not everyone will want/need a damn 700HP offroad truck. Personally.....and hope the Ford fanboys don't get butthurt on this.....very few Ford V8's interest me....the flat pane voodoo, the old forged/blown termi motor, SC'd Lightning.....that's about it. Much prefer GM smallblock or a hemi SOHC, for the sound, simplicity, tunability, proven reliability (particularly for LS/LTx) etc.

There's no way they're going to make a blown 700hp V8 the only engine option it'd cut out too many potential buyers not just b/c of price, but b/c its just so extreme & get terrible MPGs etc. You would think the drive shaft/axles/diffs would all have to be strengthened as well (even if the current gear could potentially handle it - they're still going to have to warranty it.

Did Jeep GC SRT8 sales plummet b/c Dodge dropped the Trackhawk? I think not.

Since that is an actual vehicle that exists right now....really think hard about the reality of driving around a 475 hp N/A SRT Jeep GC vs. a 707 HP SC'd 7mpg Jeep that would in the very least require a whole separate set of wheels/snows to get through winter, if you were even going to drive it in the winter, be worried about getting it scratched up, costs $20-25k more minimum than a "regular" SRT etc.

Now the Challenger? Different question - that's a weekend/hobby/toy car not a family hauling, trailer pulling, DD candidate like a Raptor Truck.

Wow I think I just convinced myself in this post - yeah, def will bring the boosted V8 option, def still produce the EB, the V8 will be ridiculous & sold in small batches.

WMRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my buddy who is a Ford engineer. They are working on cars years ahead of what is out now. He said they like Turbos and don't hold your breath it was looked at but not going to happen as of now. I asked him as I would of not modded my current Raptor and waited to trade in but he said mod away basically.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
very few Ford V8's interest me....the flat pane voodoo, the old forged/blown termi motor, SC'd Lightning.....that's about it.

There are all essentially the same engine though. They are all 100% derived from the 4.6L Mod motor from 1996. Same bore spacing, same basic architecture. Some had blowers, some were iron blocked, some had aluminum blocks with sleeves, some were aluminum blocks with spray bores, some had taller decks, some had 2V heads, some had 4V heads- but all of what you listed are totally mod motor based, as is the 5.0 Coyote.

You can take a lowly 4.6 2V engine and make it a 1000+ HP screamer easily.

The 6.2L is the only modern Ford gas V8 not derived from the mod motor.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a spy video shows up of the TRX, then two days later there's a "leak" about a V8 Raptor to a highly credible publication...? What a coincidence!

This was leaked intentionally IMO.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Power ain't free and modern engines have gotten really good at squeezing all the power they can out of an ounce of fuel. To get more power, the only way to do it is with more fuel.

Engine configuration only makes a difference when cruising down the highway at 65mph and 25% throttle. (feeding a 3.5L V6 versus a supercharged 5L V8)

Obviously depending on how it is driven, a supercharged Gen 2 Raptor will average around 8mpg. A 550hp Raptor would be in the low teens. More HP = less MPG.

Real world fuel economy wouldn't be as bad as you think. Modern superchargers have bypass valves. At low throttle it's like they aren't even there. And you don't need to get into it real hard when you have a torque-y V8 underfoot (unlike the little V6).

I get better fuel mileage than what you are quoting in my truck, which weighs a boat load more, has 4 fewer gears, and an extra liter of displacement to feed. Plus I'm not running dinky little 315/70 ATs.

So a spy video shows up of the TRX, then two days later there's a "leak" about a V8 Raptor to a highly credible publication...? What a coincidence!

This was leaked intentionally IMO.

Most definitely.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
V8s have other advantages. One major advantage being they are much smoother than I4, I6, or V6 engines. Not as good as a V12, but still noticeably less "thrashy" sounding and feeling than any 4s or 6s. Every heard of a balance shaft in a V8?

For some strange reason, RR and Bentley put those dated testosterone pump V12s in their luxury vehicles instead of boosted to the moon V6s....

Engines have come a long way in the last couple decades. You'd be hard pressed to find "smoother" engines than the Lexus 3.5 V6. Better sounding, sure. Smoother? Not likely. Maybe if you double the cylinder count you may notice a marginal difference in smoothness, but when you're paying a quarter million dollars for a car, you're also paying for that margin. That doesn't apply to the vehicles we are discussing here, so those other advantages are moot.

Heck even I4's have come a long way. My work vehicle is a 2016 Ford Escape with the 2.0 EB and when I first drove it I was shocked it was an I4 under the hood. The last time I had owned an I4 was when I got my moms 1990 Pontiac Grand Am hand me down.