Rousch CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amyome running the Rousch CAI and what is you opinion on it? I know not to expect much if any power increase, mainly looking for the sound. Also, how can I get one here in CA? Seems people don’t ship to my communist state beciase it is not CARB certified.

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Roush in my 2018; noticeable power is up for debate; butt dyno says maybe a touch more power. Sound however is a definite increase; I hear more turbo whistle and suction as you would expect from any CAI over a stock box. Roush changed their air box for the 2018 model year to include a lid; the 2017s did not have a sealed lid. I called Roush and spoke to them prior to my purchase and they told me I definitely wanted the closed air box; not sure if that is due to CARB or not (I live in the wild west of PA where in my county we don't even have emissions testing; which is why my diesel rolls coal like a choo choo train).

I will say I have owned one of just about every manufactures CAI (save for COBB) on different vehicles over the years and the fit and finish of the Roush air box is superior to all of them.

I may be taking my Roush off to install the COBB intake and tune if you would be interested in a lightly used unit (just turned 5k miles; all street miles; no dust sucked). Make me an offer!

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking it up, i dont have one so maybe those that installed can advise. I see it needs drilling and extra work as opposed to other brands.

Also does it still utilize the stock
Air ducting?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just installed a Cobb intake. Sealed box, no drilling, and simple install. Haven’t been out for a drive yet so can’t vouch for intake noise

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking it up, i dont have one so maybe those that installed can advise. I see it needs drilling and extra work as opposed to other brands.

Also does it still utilize the stock
Air ducting?

The Roush retains the factory air duct that brings in air from the front grille; the drilling required is just 2 holes into the Roush air box (no holes are drilled into your truck). Roush gives you a paper template for the holes; super easy.

I was a fan of the Roush kit coming with a complete air box; others, COBB included, uses the the factory air box bottom; I feel that the fit/finish of those designs leave a lot to be desired. The AFE Kits are nice as well, but the Momentum HD I have on my diesel is a total pain to remove the filter for cleaning; you basically have to completely uninstall the intake to clean the filter.

Kraftei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the past aftermarket cai played a roll as the car manufacturers did not manufacture their air intakes for maximum efficiency (simply filtration), later they balanced them for power vs water intrusion. Now I have yet to see a cai that has any benefit over the factory set up, maybe there are exceptions but I have yet to see it. The advertised hp gains are laughable. The downsides out weigh having a cai in my opinion, you can make less power, the quality and the maintenance can be problematic as well.

ps. I may be biased as I am not a big noise guy, personally I think noise is the main purpose of a aftermarket cai !

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the Roush in my 2018; noticeable power is up for debate; butt dyno says maybe a touch more power. Sound however is a definite increase; I hear more turbo whistle and suction as you would expect from any CAI over a stock box. Roush changed their air box for the 2018 model year to include a lid; the 2017s did not have a sealed lid. I called Roush and spoke to them prior to my purchase and they told me I definitely wanted the closed air box; not sure if that is due to CARB or not (I live in the wild west of PA where in my county we don't even have emissions testing; which is why my diesel rolls coal like a choo choo train).

I will say I have owned one of just about every manufactures CAI (save for COBB) on different vehicles over the years and the fit and finish of the Roush air box is superior to all of them.

I may be taking my Roush off to install the COBB intake and tune if you would be interested in a lightly used unit (just turned 5k miles; all street miles; no dust sucked). Make me an offer!

I definitely want to newer version with the lid. Otherwise it’s just sucking hot air.