Rough idle and studdering and even some blue smoke!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan C

Reaction score
2017 raptor with 25,000 miles no issues at all until now. Was riding down the highway and it started misfiring really bad, loss of power and studdering. Took it to ford and they said it needed new plugs and wires for $900. They said it was due to a "tune" on the truck. I told them i dont have a tune and they insisted that i did. So i paid 900 and got it back and guess what. The plugs didnt fix the issue at all. I bought the truck with 3000 miles it was all stock and immaculate. I find it hard to believe that the guy put a tune on it. Also it still has auto start stop and feels the same power level as other raptors ive driven. I am going to take it back and give this dealer one more shot. Any ideas of the real issue here?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You paid for a repair that should’ve been covered, you should be talking to ford customer service. If you bought the truck from a private sale, you should reach out to that person and ask them if they altered the truck programming via a tune. If they did and they did not disclose it to you, you’re probably going to have to pursue them for the cost of repairs if Ford can show what happened was caused by the tune.

It sounds like the techs did whatever voodoo they use to check for modifications and found evidence. That doesn’t mean that there’s an actual modification, so you should challenge the dealer for proof.

Any number of things could be going wrong here, coils, plugs, maybe a turbo( the blue smoke part ).

I’d get the service manager involved at the dealer.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 raptor with 25,000 miles no issues at all until now. Was riding down the highway and it started misfiring really bad, loss of power and studdering. Took it to ford and they said it needed new plugs and wires for $900. They said it was due to a "tune" on the truck. I told them i dont have a tune and they insisted that i did. So i paid 900 and got it back and guess what. The plugs didnt fix the issue at all. I bought the truck with 3000 miles it was all stock and immaculate. I find it hard to believe that the guy put a tune on it. Also it still has auto start stop and feels the same power level as other raptors ive driven. I am going to take it back and give this dealer one more shot. Any ideas of the real issue here?

Good luck! Ford made me go to hell and back fighting and they ended up denying my diff blowing up claiming my front shocks caused it. I hope you have better luck!