rope/straps or chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went ice fishing today and some ******** in a 2012 focus got his car stuck at the bottom of the boat launch that wasn't plowed out... hahah well long story short because i didn't have any chain/rope/straps because the trucks new... we had to get a few more guys off the ice to push him up the hill....
now ive always used chain.... dosent brake and hooks to it self... easier but takes up to much space. everyone's going to synthetic stuff now... im not buying a bubba rope... seams overpriced.

but that being said im sure you guys have more experience than i and i need to no what i should keep in the truck for straps... i was looking at 20'x2" with hooks on both ends?

any tips?

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well not exactly what I thought from the title...but I like chains...

Banned
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH HOOKS ON IT

worse idea ever, aside from using chains.

use a strap, or a rope.

get at least a 2" x 30' strap.

20' is way to shrot for some of the stuff you get, and longer will never hurt. will only help.

and imo, you say the bubba rope is overpriced, i think otherwise. if its the difference between getting unstuck, and staying stuck and leaving your truck overnight, id glady pay for a bubba rope. and i did. bought one, havent used it yet, but dont regret the purchase at all

even if i only use it once in my life, it will have paid for itself. sometimes a strap just wont work, and you need the elasticity of a recovery rope.

and sometimes, you dont want that elasticity. hence, why a tow strap is also good to have. i have both, will always have both.

and dont forget D rings. those are a huge help as well.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chains are for transporting vehicles, not recovery. When a chain breaks it becomes a deadly projectile. Get a Recovery strap, not a Tow strap. A Recovery strap stretches ever so slightly allowing you to prevent a shock load on the equipment. And like stated above, no hooks. Spend the money on a clevis shackle.

It doesn't take much money to do recovery safely.

Kevin S.

Reaction score
Chains are for transporting vehicles, not recovery. When a chain breaks it becomes a deadly projectile. Get a Recovery strap, not a Tow strap. A Recovery strap stretches ever so slightly allowing you to prevent a shock load on the equipment. And like stated above, no hooks. Spend the money on a clevis shackle.

It doesn't take much money to do recovery safely.

This! I've seen a guy almost loose a hand when a chain broke!

Go here and buy this
US Army Hummer Tow Sling NSN# 5340-01-475-3650

I have used this for about the last 10yrs (pulling m1 hummers, and even a 10 ton vehicle- I don't recommend this!) with probably over 100 pulls and have had zero issues with it!

OP
OP
F

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys... i think im going to get a 20' and a 10' and if i need them looped together i can loop them. but i no today where we were stuck in a very small spot i would need a 10 and a 30 would be way to long.

This! I've seen a guy almost loose a hand when a chain broke!

Go here and buy this
US Army Hummer Tow Sling NSN# 5340-01-475-3650

I have used this for about the last 10yrs (pulling m1 hummers, and even a 10 ton vehicle- I don't recommend this!) with probably over 100 pulls and have had zero issues with it!

that seems a little short tho? what that 10 feet... i feel like i would get stuck in the same spot as the person im towing.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sling is a great idea for any Raptor in the mud... I don't know about your Raptors but my recovery points are not marked with WLL(working load limit) or max load.. So using just one of these points to recover a Raptor mired to its frame would be dangerous.
Using a recovery sling and dividing the load between recovery points is good idea..

-Greg

Banned
Reaction score
dont only get small ones and loop them. not to be a ****, but thats just stupid.

if anything, get a 30', and double it over. making a 15' strap.
thats WAY safer than looping two smaller ones together.

recovery isnt something to take lightly. and doing things half assed gets people hurt, quite often badly.

I've seen it with my own eyes. one man was hospitilized thanks to improper recovery.

OP
OP
F

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont only get small ones and loop them. not to be a ****, but thats just stupid.

if anything, get a 30', and double it over. making a 15' strap.
thats WAY safer than looping two smaller ones together.

recovery isnt something to take lightly. and doing things half assed gets people hurt, quite often badly.

I've seen it with my own eyes. one man was hospitilized thanks to improper recovery.

i dont quite understand how looping them would be stupid.. it wouldnt be a weak spot if anything it would be a strong spot... id just like to no your reasoning. before i go ordering anything.