Replaced rear speakers and found this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced the rear speakers in my Scab this weekend with some JL Audio C2-570s that my wife gave me for my birthday. Quick and easy job.

However, my passenger rear and driver rear speakers were vastly different. Both are labeled Ford speakers, but one is a Sony and the other was not. Kind of strange. I wonder if someone did this on purpose or if it was a mix up at the assembly plant.

Note, the Sony one sounded much better. The non-Sony one was in the driver side and sounded like shit.

Thoughts?

su91.jpg

9shs.jpg

Last edited:

TedB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While speakers were out did you install xtc speaker baffles? Makes a nice little difference in sound and protects the speakers.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look the same bet the one is just blown. Man they look like shit speakers thought they'd be better for the $2500 the damn stereo cost

Sent from my S4

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They look the same bet the one is just blown. Man they look like shit speakers thought they'd be better for the $2500 the damn stereo cost

Sent from my S4

I should have taken a front picture. The speakers are no where near similar. One is marked Sony front and back, the other is not. One has a cover, the Sony one does not.

I'll try to take another picture tonight.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

While speakers were out did you install xtc speaker baffles? Makes a nice little difference in sound and protects the speakers.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Nope. I'm ignorant about audio. I don't even know what those are or what they do? :rofl:

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frames on both are the same. Certainly the same factory. I replaced mine with JL and all 4 speakers in my SCAB were the Sony labeled ones. BTW, when brands like Sony have their name on the system they have nothing to do with it, they just get paid to have their name on it. There are a few stereo (head unit in car lingo) manufacturers who build to car company standards and they sell to all. Delco used to be captive to GM but they now sell to any. We were told at work that if a head unit fails in the warranty period the supplier has to pay penalty of 10X the price the car company paid. Must be $50 penalty on the Sony system :sad72:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the Sony speaker the upgraded factory system? So it seems like you got half the upgrade. I'm guessing they grabbed the wrong part during assembly... Now I'm curious about mine